「58th period」: test time

K A R M A A K A B A N E
赤羽
student no. 1

season 2 episode 12

Today was examination day, the day we walk back to the main building in order to take the finals. And looking back, time flied pretty fast after that incident. Damn, even I had to admit that it was pretty amazing how Iroha and I managed to ignore each other for the next couple days.

I thought it was nearly impossible.

Sure, I regretted it, and I wasn't in the right mind when I did it, but after that, Iroha would flinch when we made eye contact, or she'd do everything to runaway from me.

We never even fought through out the remaining days before the exam, and trust me, that used to seem like a miracle.

I was beginning to think that bickering was better than having her run away from me.

Returning back to reality, as the first batch of tests ended, everyone started complaining and realizing how much of a real deal this was, but it seemed to me that Iroha was calm enough not to break her form.

In contrast to her previous state, it was a pretty big change. After all, for the past week, she's been treating me like I was some sort of person she was terrified off. No, she treated me like I wasn't even human. And I was pretty sure it takes a lot to scare Iroha. Like kissing her perhaps---

Damn.

I sighed, I shouldn't let this get to me at all, at least not today.

That was the dumbest move I pulled out so far, after all. To think, I'd loose me self restraint just like that.

Unfortunately, this change of hers has piqued a certain blonde's interest. The next thing I knew, Nakamura was talking to me about it during break.

"Seems like your princess is pretty calm about this. But I've got to wonder about what happened between the two of you~" Nakamura smirked, noticing the front we've been putting up the entire week.

"It'd be good if you focus on the exam first, Nakamura-san~" I returned the smile, considering how she went up to me during break.

"Oh please, this past week, Iroha was so out of it that she came to school with a different pair of socks, read a book upside down and forgot to write her name on the worksheets Korosensei asked us to answer" she stated. "What. Did. You. Do?"

"How are you sure it's me?".

"You're avoiding each other. Doesn't take a genius to see that. Even if it's just because of your banters, you two are inseparable" she sighed. "Iroha's probably doing her best to put a face on, because were taking the exams".

"Well, if you really want to know, ask her~" I invited her. "But we really have other things to worry about right now".

"Suit yourself" she got up, walking towards the girl. "The closer she gets to someone, the more she'll push them away, you know. Iroha's always been that type of person. You probably went over your bounds".

✖︎●✖︎

As in the figure to the right, the crystalline structure known as a body-centered cubic unit consists of multiple cubes a having sides 1 arranged periodically with an atom at each vertex and at each cube's center.

Most alkaline metals, including Na and K, are body-centered cubic units. Focusing in atom A[0] in a body-centered cubic unit, of all the points within the space, the domain D[0] consists of the set of points closer to A[0] than to any other atom. Find the volume of D[0].

I read the final question of the math exam.

What was it that Nagisa-kun always used to say?

"Aw... How can two fellow humans have such a gap between them?" I remember him say. "I guess you've got different talents, huh, Karma-kun".

Easy for you to say... If you ask me, I'm not sure which of us is the real genius here.

What we call "talent" is the part of us that others can't see.

Like Sugino, who can slide right in with people. Like Okuda, who can totally lose herself in something she loves. Like Terasaka, who can act without giving it a single thought. And like Iroha, who never backs out from a fight.

From where I stand, those are all talents. Everyone has this talented domain that I can't see, so in that sense, we're all the same.

The issue here... is whether I can see this problem with my own talent.

Oh, man--I definitely won't have enough time for this.

My eyes kept skimming the paper as I went through the question over and over again

multiple cubes a having sides 1 arranged periodically

Hang on...This doesn't call for any tough math at all!, I realized.

It's separated out into this one little cube, but if this is an atomic crystal, there'll be more of the same structure outside this cube, too.

Which means... the world doesn't end here. And from where I stand, everyone has their own talent and their own domain, so everyone's the same.

All I could see from inside the box were mere fragments of everyone. Just as I claim my own domain, everyone else will claim theirs. We're all the same size, the same distance apart.

If we're all cut from the same box, those eight contiguous boxes can be broken up, into the same proportion, so each person's fragment accounts for one-eight. The box holds a whole me, and one-eight each from eight people's fragments.

In other words, inside this cube, the ratio of me to the other eight has got to be 1:1. And if it's 1:1 inside the box, the volume of the domain I can claim is up to half the cube!

Well, geez... This is primary-school stuff, I thought as I wrote my answer on the paper, scribbling down such a simple solution.

No need for drawn-out calculations or complex diagrams. If you just tweak to the fact that there's a world outside yourself...

You can't just bound yourself within your own walls forever. It's about time that she realizes that too.