「21st period」: fever time

K A R M A A K A B A N E
赤羽
student no. 1

Iroha was absent the next day, and it didn't take a genius to find out what happened. There were only two possible reasons. (1) She was too lazy to even bother, and attempted to skip for a day, or (2) she caught herself a cold like I said she would.

"Karma-kun, Korosensei asked us to come visit Iroha-chan after school, are you coming along?" Nagisa approached me, asking during the last period of the day.

"Hm~ Don't we have work to do after school?" I asked him, after all, it was the octopus who got us to help out for 2 weeks.

"We're excused, Kayano, Okuda-san, Kanzaki-san, Sugino, Me and You" he told me. "Korosensei's worried about her but he has a once-in-a-lifetime thing abroad. A meet and greet, was it?".

"So we're doing the octopus' bidding, huh?~" I sighed.

"Something like that" he smiled sheepishly, "Well, if anything happens, he asked us to call him and he'll come zooming back to the country".

I doubt it'll be something too big to handle, I imagined, knowing that it was just Iroha we were dealing with.

Then again, the girl was stubborn. I might be underestimating her ability to do whatever she wanted. Thankfully, Korosensei seemed so distracted, he let the fact that Iroha cut school slip.

"Alright~" I agreed.

"That's great. So, all six of us are coming then".

"Yeah".

✖︎●✖︎

Snacks scattered about

Snacks scattered about. Unfinished food and empty containers dumped around the room. To put it simply, her living room was the exact epitome of chaos.

And yet, what we took notice of was the girl laying unconscious in the one corner, right in front of the television screen.

Judging from how the TV was still turned on, and how the game controller was positioned near her, it was easy to assume that Iroha had stayed up all night playing video games, just because I gave her a day off.

Then again, something felt off, seeing as we entered the room without any hassle. The girl left the door unlocked, and even if the security in this building was impeccable, anyone who lives alone, that leaves their door unlocked was an imbecile.

"So she really was just slacking off, huh?" Sugino sighed, as we all stood near the entrance of the apartment.

"I don't think that's the case" Nagisa contradicted him, walking closer to the girl, and crouching down once he was near enough. He laid his hand on her forehead, before turning to us, anxiety in his voice. "She's burning. I think she caught herself a fever".

Okuda and Kanzaki immediately rushed to her side, whereas I just took my time.

"The best thing to do for now, would be probably to lay her down in her room" Kanzaki said, as I came closer to take a good look at the unconscious midget.

"I'll carry her~" I volunteered, pulling the girl close to my arms. "But if ever something happens and I drop her, pretend it wasn't me, okay?~" I joked, Kayano, already opening the door to her bedroom.

"Karma-kun" Nagisa sweatdropped.

"But you know, her room looks so unused" Okuda observed as I laid Iroha down on her bed.

It was true. Everything seemed so untouched, explaining her lifestyle. Iroha always played her games, that she never bothered staying.

Even her bed was well made, as if she never slept on it once.

"Living alone must be really sad, huh?" Kayano said. "Just how lonely is Iroha here?".

"Thank god we came" Sugino sighed in relief, before Kanzaki peeked into the room.

"Hey, guys," she called us, walking into the room with a small metal basin filled with cold water. "I tried checking her kitchen if she has anything for cooking. But her refrigerator and pantry might as well be empty. So, I'll just buy some ingredients for rice porridge. I don't think Iroha-chan has eaten anything yet".

The girl took a towel, drenching it in the water before folding it up to put it on Iroha's forehead to cool her up.

"Ah, Sugino-kun and I will accompany you, Kanzaki-san" Nagisa turned to her.

"Ah, then, Okuda and I will buy some medicine and a thermometer while we're at it, will that be alright, Karma-kun?" Kayano asked, and I just nodded.

"You're leaving me alone with her? She'll be screaming when she wakes up" I reminded them about how much we fought.

"But you're the best suited for the job. Besides, all you have to do is sit there and play some games if you want to" Kayano told me.

"Hm, and if I recall, you said something like wanting to see Iroha vulnerable it front of you right?" Sugino snickered.

"That was just pride and sense of superiority~" I said. If anything, we were more like rivals than friends.

"Well, that's that. We're counting on you Karma-kun" Nagisa smiled.

So even he's in on this, huh?

Two can play it that game.

"Don't blame me if something happens while you're gone~" I shot at them.

"We'll come back as fast as possible" Okuda tried to smile politely.

"Then, we'll leave her in your care!" They all said in unison before walking out of the place.

I heard the door shut, leaving me alone with the girl. This wasn't going to go well.

I stared at her, watching sweat trickle down her face. She was panting, the warmth of her breath, could be felt a few centimeters away. Her hair was all over the her face, I couldn't help but play with her bangs, thinking about how she'll kill me when she wakes up.

God, what am I doing with my life? I tried to control the heat creeping up my face, as I attempted to hide it by facing down, face on her sheets.

I could feel her move, my hand was still on her face. It was then that I looked up to check on her, her eyes fluttered open, and she was just looking at me as if she was starting to register the situation we were in.

Crap.

"Karma?".