「70th period」: beginnings time

I R O H A    I N U K A I
犬飼 彩葉
student no. 29

season 2 episode 15

It was a big relief when everything calmed down. Korosensei got Kayano's tentacles off, and the fire died down.

Right now, Okuda asked, "Does this mean Kayano-san is alright now?".

"Yes... Probably" the octopus assured her as we all looked at the unconscious girl laying on Okuda's lap. "She'll need absolute rest for awhile".

I averted my attention to Nagisa for the mean time.

"Hey, Prince Charming! Shutting her down with a kiss, eh? Nice!" Nakamura smirked

"Who would've thought you had it in you" I laughed.

"I thought it was a good way to make her forget her bloodlust" he blushed, and explained sheepishly, "I'll apologize to her later".

"Fifteen hits on a ten-second kiss? You're not there yet" Bitch-sensei came close to him.

"Hits?".

"I trained you on forced, indiscriminate French kisses. You should have been able to make 40" she said.

"Hmm. Twenty-five's tight for me" Maehara thought about it.

"Yeah" Okajima nodded.

"God, I hate this place" Kataoka said.

"If I did it back then to you too, maybe you'd forget about your bloodlust~" Karma whispered into my ear, smirking teasingly.

Feeling the heat creep up my face, I glared at him, "I'd have directed my bloodlust to you".

︎✖︎︎●✖︎

Happiness was short lived until we hear our teacher throw up.

"Korosensei!".

"I'm fine" he assured us. "It'll just take a while for my heart to recover. I'm sure there's something you'd like to hear me say, but please wait just a little longer".

It came as a surprise when something seemed to aim at him, but being a sonic octopus, Korosensei was still able to dodge it.

Our attention was caught by the imposters.

"Quit playing up the deathbed angle. You're still alive enough to dodge" a familiar voice said.

"Shiro...", I heard Itona mutter as everyone's faces concerted into that of anger.

"Useless girl" he scoffed, "She'd give her own life for that revenge narrative of hers --- you'd think she could have done a bit better than this. You're quite the monster. Just how many assassins have you driven away in a single year?".

"But there are still two of them right here" he held unto his mask and removed it, revealing his true identity. With a change of voice he said, "I'm the last one. You took everything away... and I'll make you pay for it with your life".

"So it is you... Yanagisawa" Korosensei seemed to have noticed the man.

"Come, 2.0. March will bring a perfect death for an accursed life" he told his companion before walking out of the scene.

Moonlight was the only thing illuminating the area. The crescent moon was up high in the sky.

"What's with him?" Yada reacted almost immediately, but soon enough everyone took notice of Kayano, who seemed to have just woken up.

"I..."

"Kayano-san... thank goodness" our teacher said in relief.

"Kayano... are you okay?" Nagisa asked, soon after, and the girl replied with a simple "hm" before looking away with a slight blush, unnoticeable due to the darkness.

"It was pure bloodlust at first" she began to explain. "But as I spent time with Korosensei, I started losing my conviction in that bloodlust. Like, doesn't this teacher have some circumstances I don't know about? And shouldn't I find out what they are before I kill him?".

"But that's when the bloodlust in my tentacles swelled forth. They wouldn't let me not do it." she added. "How dumb, huh? Everyone was genuinely enjoying their assassinations while I wasted the whole year on plain old revenge".

"Kayano" Nagisa called out. "Once you taught me this hairstyle, I stopped fretting about my long hair. And like you said, everyone liked the name Korosensei--- we've been using it all year. It doesn't matter what you were after. We all made you our friend, together. No matter how much you suffered on your own, we can't let you say it was all an act--- not all those days you were smiling right there with us".

"I thought you were amazing" I smiled at her putting a hand on her shoulder. "You had so much courage to risk your life just for the sake of your sister even if you knew that that won't bring her to life. But, you know, Kayano, the one thing I learned in this class was: even if you didn't care about yourself, everyone else cares about you. That's why, we can't let you risk your life again like that, okay?".

"Iroha-chan's right" Kanzaki agreed, "when things are happy or tough, we're just beside you".

"Guys..." the girl was trying to hold back herself from tearing up.

"Korosensei promised to tell us everything once we were all together. He's not a saint. We know he doesn't always do the right thing. But let's hear him out--- all of us, together" Nagisa told her.

"Thank you" Kayano sniffed, the tears finally rolled down her face. "I can stop acting now".

"Korosensei," Isogai turned to our teacher. "Whatever's in your past. We'll accept it, as long as it's the truth".

He let out an audible sigh. "I wanted never to talk about my past if I could help it. But I see I have to. I don't want to lose your trust, the bond we share".

"This past summer, on that southern island, Karasuma-sensei said of Irina-sensei: the better the assassin, the broader her skill set. I think that's relevant here. These E Class is the first I've ever taught. Even so, I've managed to teach you just about every subject without a hitch. Why do you think that is?".

It all clicked for a second.

At that moment, from the look on their faces, I was pretty sure, Karma and Takebayashi had the answer.

"Don't tell me" the four-eyed boy adjusted his glasses.

"That's right: Until two years ago, I was the assassin known as the Reaper" Korosensei confessed. "And one more thing... Even if you do nothing, I'll die come March. Either I die alone or the earth dies with me: That's the only part of the future an assassination can change".