「8th period」: sparring time

I R O H A I N U K A I
犬飼 彩葉
student no. 29

              I understood that I was supposed to pretend that I wasn't good at anything, especially at fighting. But then, the fact that Karma kept that smug look the entire time, made me want to stab him to the point wherein we were at our situation right now; the redhead had me pinned down on the ground with his hands on my wrists.

Karma has a talent for fighting. And this talent of his happened to be heads above the rest of the class. Even if he puts up playful front, he still goes over the fight properly, making him a suitable opponent. What annoyed me was that he knew all that and kept his confidence. And that just made me want to rip that smugness of his face.

              "Not bad, Iroha-chan. You have an unexpected talent for this" he pointed out, recalling how I actually managed to get on top of him and stab him if only he hadn't bent his head to the right and switched our positions.

Even if Karasuma-sensei was from the navy, despite my disability to actually stab him, I would most likely still be able to give him a graze or a cut disregarding the fact that the knife was made out rubber. But I had to pretend that I was that stupid model student they thought of me as, to get my classmates play along as I pleased. Well, that was the plan until Karma started showing off.

"Might be from watching all those action films" I feigned a laugh. Even though, in truth, I obviously knew how to fight.

"Still, I have to admit, you're actually pretty good if you tried" he said, threateningly inching closer, only to be stopped by one of the boy's remarks.

"Hey, you two! Don't go at each other damnit" Maehara called out as I prepared to knee Karma if he dared to go even closer.

"Stop taking advantage of her, Karma! You'll taint her" one of the guys, (Okajima, probably) cut the tension between us.

Karma smirked at me one last time, dangerously getting closer as he whispered something into my ear.

              Soon enough, he stood up and lent me a hand, which I wanted to take to pull him back down with me. But as the Iroha they thought of me as, there was no way I could get away with that, so I pretended to gladly take the male's hand before he hoisted me up.

"She isn't that bad, ne, Karasuma-sensei? It seems like she'll get the hang of it in no time" Karma turned to our teacher while I pretended to let out a relieved sigh.

"Are you okay, Iroha-chan?" Kayano asked as she, Okuda and Kanzaki ran up to me while I dusted myself up.

"I guess so. Karma-kun's actually really strong, huh?" I smiled hesitantly. And because he knows about his potential, he's actually playing around with me, I had the strong urge to say.

"That was pretty tiresome though. It took everything I had" I lied.

"Well, he's one of the best in the class. But, you were still amazing, though. If you moved just a bit faster during that finishing blow, you would've been the first person to stab Karma-kun" Nagisa commended me.

             I doubted it. There was a good chance, but I was aware of our distance when it came to strength. Even if I was good at martial arts or hand to hand combat, Karma was still stronger in physical terms (because he's a guy after all). It might not seem like it, but he's probably taking a few moves from Karasuma-sensei during Physical Education. That was the reason why I was starting to get weary of him.

Karma might seem like some violent kid who doesn't take anything seriously, but then he's still a real smartass who knows when someone is capable of something. Thus, it makes it even harder to hide things from him because he could read me.

"Korosensei, I'm skipping today" he waved at the octopus right before the next class started. He looked at me and smiled, but deep down I knew he was smirking.

Tch, I want to skip so badly as well. If only it weren't for this good girl act.

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬

              "Iroha-chan, I'm so glad you're getting along with the class" Korosensei told me during during our after school tutoring session

"Mhm" I nodded, scribbling my answers. "They're not so different from ordinary kids our age. I don't think it's a big deal"

Korosensei kept the huge smile of his as he told me, "But apparently, there are reasons why you refrained from hanging out with kids your age and chose to skip school, ne?".

"What are you talking about?" I asked, finally looking our teacher in the eye, ready to swing a knife at him.

"Iroha-chan, you shouldn't underestimate your teacher, you know. Even if you're the good girl everyone thinks of you as, I'm still prepared for the things you have up your sleeves ever since you pulled off that assassination attempt from last time" he told me, which provoked me to to stab him, which he obviously dodged of course.

I gave him an irritated look, clearly eager to know how he knew all that.

"Oh, so that's where you hide your weapons, huh?---" he noted, noticing my habit of hiding all my weapons under my uniform. "Anyways, apparently, sensei thinks that maybe you weren't really a sickly student. I mean, with all the things you've pulled so far".

"What are you saying, Korosensei? I just got my health back" I told him, doing my best not to snap. "Didn't Karasuma-sensei tell you that I was dropped due to my lack of attendance".

"You look too healthy for someone who's just recovered, Iroha-chan" the octopus pointed out. "It's not that I doubt you but, the truth will arise".

I couldn't help but glare at him. If he knows, then there's no use to keep the act up.

"You're finally showing your true colors. Nurufufufu~" the sonic octopus giggled, dodging everyone of my shots.

"Right" I smirked, before spilling a handful of BB bullets on the floor, causing a few of that octopus' tentacles to explode. "You obviously don't know me that well".

"See you tomorrow, Korosensei" I feigned a smile, before exiting the room.

As if my temper wasn't already bad, I recalled what Karma whispered in my ear during our match which made things even worse. I remembered it clearly. "Your easy to read, Iroha-chan. I might end up knowing you better than you've ever known yourself. After all, I already know who you are"