「64th period」: first time

I R O H A    I N U K A I
犬飼 彩葉
student no. 29

I remembered it was raining that day.

Droplets hit the concrete, as I, holding my umbrella, sat at one of the benches at the outdoor balcony of the rooftop.

"What are you doing here, when you're not even cured from your injuries yet, Iroha-chan?" a voice came from behind.

As I turned to look back, I noticed that it was Gakushu's father who asked me.

"Get back to your room" he said sternly, walking towards me with his own umbrella.

When I was confined in the hospital during my first year in middle school, it was the first and last time I've ever seen the principal shaken all because I jumped of a building

When I was confined in the hospital during my first year in middle school, it was the first and last time I've ever seen the principal shaken all because I jumped of a building. (see chapter 37: rehabilitation time)

"Ne, Asano-sensei, whats the point of being strong? Why are you desperately trying to instill strength?" I recalled myself asking quietly.

"Why are you bringing that up so suddenly?" He looked at me, surprised by the random question.

"Everything...Everything is pointless... I just don't understand why it matters anymore--- One day, the world would end. Be it weak or strong, it doesn't matter if we're bound by the same fate. We're all going to---"

"That's why I want you to be strong before all that" he says, "So that you can live. So that nothing else can bring you down, no matter how hard life is".

"Then, I'm still pretty weak, huh?" I scoffed.

"No. The fact your still alive is enough to prove you're otherwise".

。。。

I ran up to the principal, recalling his words, despite stumbling at some steps along the way.

"Asano-sensei!" I called out to him.

"Ah, Iroha-chan" he turned to face me. "What is it?".

"Uh...um" I tried finding the right words, but somehow, I ended up bowing my head. "Uh...t-thank you for a lot of things!".

"Raise your head" he chuckled, as I did as he said.

"You really grew up to be a fine child. I always wanted to raise you like my own daughter" he said, and I gave him a look.