「73rd period」: comfort time

K A R M A   A K A B A N E
赤羽
student no. 1

I'm sorry for the news.

I never thought I'd hate the phrase so much until I heard about the situation we'd be going through.

Just a few days after Christmas, a couple of days after promising to stay in contact, I witnessed a number of unanswered calls and delivered-zoned texts.

Right then, I knew that something was up, but, as much as I didn't want to admit it, it actually broke me when I heard her guardian pick up one of my calls to tell me the news.

Iroha was confined in the hospital, was rushed to the emergency room and was declared in a critical state. Her disease was about to reemerge and was ready to spread through out her body — that was what the doctors said.

It just proved that misfortune truly did hit during the least expected moments.

Today was January 6th, and it also just happened to be the day Nagisa and the others planned to visit Kayano who was still in confinement.

"Why the sudden change of heart, though, Karma-kun?" the blue-haired male turned to me. "I thought you were pretty busy".

"I have something going on" I told him rather limitedly, knowing that the boy and the rest of the gang was oblivious to Iroha's state.

"Ah, I see" Nagisa smiled.

"Anyways, send my regards to Kayano-chan. You guys can go home without me" I turned to Nagisa, making sure I seemed normal like usual. "This time, when you see her, make sure you get a room when you do that ey?~".

"Karma-kun! That was the only thing I can come up with in the heat of the moment" he defended.

"Riiight~".

I laughed him off, walking away right when we arrived, before walking down the hall in search for Iroha's room number.

✖︎︎●✖︎

The sound of their voices were audible enough through that small crack of that door.

I could clearly make out what they were saying.

"I know, Hiyori-nee".

"You better take care of yourself more, you know how sensitive and fragile you'd be especially that---"