「50th period」: rival time

I R O H A    I N U K A I
犬飼 彩葉
student no. 29

I was walking alongside Karma, when we headed home after the festival.

"That's a relief. In the end, Nagisa got along with his Mom" I told the redhead beside me as we stopped by to grab some ice cream.

"Good for him" He agreed, before messing with me. "So, what about you and your Dad?~"

"Tsk. You always say the last thing I'd like to hear, Karma" I clicked my tongue.

"Of course~ It takes talent" he smirked smugly.

"Well, if you really want to know. Our relationship was never good from the start" I told him. "More like, the school chairman was more like my father than the actual one".

"There~ There" he ruffled my hair like a little girl, "let's get you some ice cream".

"Karma, are you mocking me" I deadpanned.

But it was true.

The Asanos were closer to me than my very own family.

✖︎●✖︎

I sat in front of him, the ginger head who stood in front of me as I played in the sand box.

"I don't like you" a young Asano told me.

"I don't care" I shot back nonchalantly. Why did I have to prove myself to him?

Now that I think about, I was never necessarily a naive kid full of emotion.

"You're supposed to ask why!" He demanded, to which I just sighed.

I was the type kid that was hard to talk to. And I hated people who felt like they were so above us.

"Why?" I gave in, quite easily, if I had to say.

"You've got everything at the palm of your hand but you don't even care" he complained.

Bull's eye. I could get everything. But it didn't matter because even so, the fact that I was taking medication meant that I was weak.

In this world, only the strong survive. I was just an ant, stepping on other ants.

"Because it doesn't even matter" I stated bluntly. "It's not like those things last forever".

They were just numbers on paper. My parents will never acknowledge me because it's simply an obligation.

"Like I thought. I really hate your guts" He shot back at me, "it's not about lasting forever, it's about how long it lasts! My dad dotes on you, your grades are amazing, you could practically win everything you want to but you never give it value".

"So?" I asked him.

"It would've been better if someone else beats you. You don't even have a reason for winning" he spat.