「12th period」: sports festival time

I R O H A    I N U K A I
犬飼 彩葉
student no. 29

season 2 episode 5

I love it when the bell rings to signal the end of class. It's when I can finally escape the octopus' clutches.

"Hmmm~ Why is it only the guys who were asked to stay?" I wondered as Okuda, Kayano, Kanzaki and I walked home.

To be honest, Isogai's been acting weird, I could even feel the tension in the room when the girls went ahead to go home.

"Ah, they're probably talking about the sports festival" Kayano answered, to which we three gave her a curious look.

"Isn't that supposed to be discussed by the entire class?" Kanzaki asked.

"No," Kayano shook her head and explained, "their only discussing it partly. You see, Asano-kun found out that Isogai-kun has a part-time job. In the end, he managed to agree to turn a blind eye if Class E beats them in the pole-toppling in the athletics festival".

"Asano, huh" I muttered. Well if it's against Class E. Shu and his minions will definitely  be intent on beating us. "It'll be hard".

"Ah, speaking of which, you two are pretty close friends, right, Iroha-chan?" Okuda turned to me.

"Well, rather than friends, we're more like childhood rivals. I got sick of the competition, though. That guy's always desperate to win" I told her.

"Ah, but, we'll still have fun during the athletics festival in our own way" Kayano beamed.

Ah right. We're required to attend the athletics festival. And to add salt to the wound, that octopus would most likely get his hands on anyone who dares to sit this out.

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬

Today was the destined day that Isogai had to face. At the same time, it was also the day the whole class was dreading the actions of our teacher who acted like such a doting parent.

"So," I glared at Korosensei, "how come I'm joining the fetch race?". And of all things it just had to be that stupid human scavenger hunt.

"It's fine. It's fine~ I'm playing as well and there's Itona and Fuwa joining us~" Karma pat my back before I fixed my headband, tying it tightly.

Something gives me a bad feeling just with the thought of playing with this guy though, I thought, looking at the sports festival committee under the tent.

Kimura aced the 100M dash, Hara was unrivaled in the bread eating competition, Okano and Maehara managed the three-foot race, and even Kayano finished the obstacle race with ease.

Ah, I might let the class down at this rate.

"Good luck" Okuda told us before Kanzaki finished tying my hair up, cutting me off from my thoughts.

"You better get in position then" Kanzaki encouraged.

"Right" I sighed as I followed Fuwa and the others into the crowd.