「17th period」: study time

Start from the beginning

"But as a teacher, I need to make my students respect me~" I countered.

"Violence isn't the key, Karma" she retorted.

"Funny, hearing that coming from you, Iroha-chan~" I smirked.

"Bastard" she mumbled.

"What's this I hear, are you two fighting?~" the octopus peered, closing in on us thanks to that unbeatable speed of his.

"What are you talking about, Korosensei? Isn't this how we normally get along?" Iroha gave him a faked smile, the one she used to use on the teachers or the people in the main building.

"Che~" he pouted, failing at his attempt to make us loose the bet.

✖︎●✖︎

When Korosensei asked us to go home due to how late it's been, I managed to ask Iroha to finish what she had to do in my place.

But so far, that plan was going no where.

"So, tell me, Iroha. How is it that, your going at things with this pace" I said, irritated by the fact she hasn't gotten a correct answer at all.

Yesterday, her learning capability was amazing. She remembered every single thing to the smallest detail. And yet, today, hoping that it only applied during school hours, she was unable to recall everything we studied the day before. Now that we were studying at my place after school, we've been going over the same things again.

I was beginning to think that I really overestimated her abilities. At such a rate, I couldn't believe that this girl actually managed to get 5th place.

"I was wrong" I sighed for the nth time. "You're hopeless. You're absolutely hopeless. I take back every single thing I told you the first day we tried this".

"Look. I'm trying, okay?" she huffed scribbling a ton of things on the sheet of paper I gave her.

"You were absolutely doing great yesterday. So tell me Iroha-chan~, how the heck can you remember and forget them all in a flash" I crossed out all of her answers once again, doing my best to keep a threatening smile on.

"Heh, short term memory I guess" she laughed before I flicked her forehead. My patience was wearing thin.

"Owwww~ What the heck was that for? Hitting my head would make me forget everything even more" she huffed with her eyes clearly watery and her hands covering her forehead.

She was a quick learner. And that's great, really. But when it comes to storing the memory in her mind, it takes as much time to study in order for her to remember.

"It's hard to believe you topped fifth overall during the midterms and finals of the first semester" I muttered under my breath.

She just stared at me. With her mouth slightly open, quite surprised that I knew.

"H-How did you know?"

Oh right, she didn't know about that time I asked Ritsu to look her records up.

"I did my research on you. Attendance, grades, school records and everything else" I told her nonchalantly. "Heck, I'm not surprised if Korosensei tells you that you'd be repeating a grade because of your attendance. You used to skip even more than I did".

She still stared at me in shock, mouth agape. "W-when did you".

"Hmmm... Since you transferred the class" I smiled, before taking the crumpled seat work in her hands to correct it.

"So that's how you knew, huh" she mumbled, irritation was quite clear in her voice. "No wonder it was easy for you to figure me out".

"Of course, anyone would find you suspicious back then" I waved her off, telling her to calm down.

"God, I hate you so much" she huffed and I chuckled.

"Where did that come from?".

"It had to be you of all people" she pouted. "The others understand me well enough, but for someone to read into me as much as you did all this time. Damn, you make me feel vulnerable".

"Ehh~ That's fine" My smile widened, before turning into a smirk. "I've been meaning to make you feel that way anyways".

"Bastard" she spoke under her breath like how she usually did.

"That's not what you should say to your sensei, Iroha-chan~" I teased her. "Anyways, if you keep slacking off and forgetting things I might get the urge to punish you again~"

She started getting weary of me, and I would've laughed at that.

"How does a kiss sound?" I asked her, attempting to make her feel even more uncomfortable. "I'll give you a kiss for every wrong answer---".

"Shut up! I'm doing them already" she said bashfully, immediately doing her work. "Ah, if I just came with Okajima and the others to that shortcut of theirs heading to the train station".

"Like you could~" I scoffed. "Remember, I was asked to tutor you~".

Looks like it's gonna be a long night, huh?