I am the King, Right? - Chapter 18

Start from the beginning

“Drive,” I said to Diego as soon as I slid into the seat next to him. He didn’t hesitate slamming his foot down onto the brake.

We tore down the drive at a pretty fast pace. Diego screamed out with glee.

“You know, before Is came here, I never had this much fun,” Diego said glancing at me.

“Yeah the place was pretty bland before then wasn’t it?” I agreed.

“So where are you going to change?” Diego asked getting serious again.

“Just keep driving, and slow down for god’s sake!” I said. Our whole racing away from the castle thing couldn’t be more subtle. 

“Nah, you can just explain that Wicked Witch of the West kept you from your meeting,” Diego said with his life lighting up in a smile.

“I could have you arrested for that,” I joked.

“And what would the charge be?”

I thought for a moment. “Don’t know, but I should ask Izzy, she would probably be able to come up with something.”

“Why do you two have pet names for each other?”

“It just happened I guess,” I said with a shrug.

“Oh and what else as ‘just happened’?”

“What happened to the scared guard who was too scared to look me in the eye?” I said. I found it annoying when people answered a question with another question, but I hated being the only one interrogated.

Diego shrugged. “I met Is and fell in love.”

My jaw dropped before I had the chance to process that he was just teasing me. “That’s not cool,” I said as sternly as possible.

“It’s hard not to tease you. You are so obvious about her,” Diego said holding up his hands.

“Hands on the wheel! Am I really that obvious?” I asked quietly.

“Oh yeah, only one who doesn’t know is her and that’s only because she thinks as everyone as her friend.”

“Pull over here,” I said pointing to the start of the forest on the right side.

“You, the king, are going to change in the forest?” Diego asked in disbelief

“Well why not? I can't pull up to one of the fancy bathrooms and ask to use their bathroom,” I reasoned.

“Fine do whatever you want,” he said pulling over.

I grabbed my suitcase from the back and went a behind the first row of trees to change.

“Do you think I am still her friend?” I asked helplessly.

Diego burst out laughing. “Are you kidding me? That girl is so nice she probably thinks that it was all a big prank or something.”

“But what if she really does get arrested because of me?”

“We will be careful.”

I finished changing than I went back to the car.

“See? Without your fancy clothes I can't even tell it’s you,” Diego said. I was wearing some of his clothes that were stained with grease and dirt various things he did in training.

“My clothes were never that fancy,” I denied.

“They weren’t fancy, just pricey. And put this on, it makes you even less recognizable,” Diego said handing me a worn baseball cap.