I am the King, Right? - Chapter 18

~Michael~

“Take this to the car, I will meet you down there in a minute,” I said passing Diego my bag. I had been so happy when Izzy actually responded to my message. Instead of planning a way to get her charge dropped, I had formulated a different, more risky plan. I just hope she didn’t kill me for it. “And sorry,” I added.

“For what?” he asked taking the suitcase from me.

“This isn’t part of your job, you shouldn’t be doing this,” I said apologetically.

Diego smiled like he was amused with my stupidity or something. “No it is fine. I want Is back here as well.”

“And why is that?” I asked suspiciously.

Diego laughed. “I promise Kingy, she is all yours. I want her back simply because she is a good friend.”

“Michael!” I heard Jessica call.

“Go!” I said giving Diego a small shove. “I’ll down as soon as I can.”

Diego nodded and left.

“What was that, that guard had?” Jessica asked coming into the room.

“Oh I’m going into town today and I need some things for a presentation I’m making,” I said. It was mostly the truth. Besides I know that politics bore Jessica.

“But you were just in town the other day,” she complained. Yes and It was exactly that fact that had me so mad. If I hadn’t gone into town that day, I would have stopped Izzy’s eviction before she had even left the castle.

“It’s business, there is no convenience to it,” I said honestly.

“Well hurry back,” Jessica said laying her hand on my arm. Now that Is was out of the castle, Jessica saw it as a reason to try and get close to me. She didn’t take the hint when I moved away each time.

“Okay,” I said helplessly. I moved away from her and she just stepped closer.

“I wish you would spend more time with me,” she whined.

“Well, I’m king, I’m busy sometimes.”

“I know,” she said with a huff.

“I need to get going,” I said hurriedly. I did not enjoy our close proximity. But by the expression on Jessica’s face, she did.

“Just another minute,” she pleaded stepping so close her chest was against mine. I was trapped against the wall and I couldn’t really go anywhere. There was a table on one side and the corner of the room on the other. I cursed myself for allowing her to put me in this situation.

“Uh…” I said. I needed to somehow say ‘Get lost’ in a kind way. No ideas were coming to mind though.

Jessica mistook my hesitation for nervousness. “Oh good,” she said with a witchy kind of smile. Then she almost jumped to kiss me, her lips banging into mine. With Is, this would never be a problem. She was only a couple of inches shorter to me. Jessica, was very short. I don’t even think she was five feet.

That was good for me, because that meant she couldn’t really kiss me properly unless I helped her kiss me, if I was sitting down, or she grew another foot overnight.

But none of those, except the sitting down one seemed very likely.

I pushed her away from me, taking advantage of her being distracted in me. And made my escape. She called after me but I ignored her.

I don’t know why she was so attached to me. It wasn’t like I actually gave her the fat ring that sat on her finger. No that had been Uncle Harold. I had nothing to do with it. I would never give someone as intolerable as her a ring. Let alone an engagement ring.