I am the King, Right? - Chapter 12

~Michael~

When most people pulled up to an huge, expensive, gorgeous house in a private sleek black car, they would think ‘Wow’. But all I thought was ‘When does this thing end?’ Despite what people might think, I am not one to like a party.

But that’s probably because most of the parties I go to are filled with rich snobs who all try to get money from me. Not exactly my idea of fun.

“Remember, you are king, don’t let anyone here let you forget that,” Uncle Harold said from the seat next to me. We were waiting for our turn to get out of the car so we could walk up the path to the house as strangers took pictures and screamed how much they loved us on either side of us.

“I know Uncle,” I said. He said this to me at every party. I don’t know why he thought that I would just hand over private information, or my crown to a random person. Okay, so I had given all the information, and basically the power of the crown to Izzy, but that was a special case. She was doing it to help me, not to steal from me.

“And just remember, if anyone says something about the country, they are just trying to make it look bad. None of it is true,” he continued. I cant believe I hadn’t seen this before, my uncle was lying to my face so that if someone said to me ‘What made you think putting your country in poverty would be a good idea?’ I would just wave it off as them lying to me. He was trying to cover his own filthy lying butt by using my innocence.

“Yes I know Uncle,” I said smiling at him so he wouldn’t think I suspected anything. He nodded not realizing how strained my smile actually was.

Finally it was our turn to leave the car and walk up to the castle. Lately, it had been hard to be alone with my uncle. Now that I knew what kind of person he really was, I could no longer see the good man who had raised me. All I saw was the evil man who wasn’t above stealing from his own country and blaming it on his nephew.

I plastered on an even bigger fake smile for the cameras that bombarded me before I was even completely out of the car.

Both my uncle and I waved to the strangers as we made our way up the path. Not soon enough we were walking through the large doors to the mansion. At least the people inside this place would gawk at us like those outside. The people invited to the party all had high status positions so it was below them to be very impressed by their teenage king and his villainous uncle.

I immediately went to the left, and Uncle Harold went to the right. It was a method we had worked out long ago. We would both start on opposite sides to talk up the people, and then make our way to the other side. Once we had been all around the whole room, we would go to any newcomers, or people we found interesting from a political stand point.

That’s another reason why I hated these parties. There were just an excuse for political planning. I ate, slept and breathed politics. Did the occasional party I went to have to be about politics as well?

Before I hadn’t really cared about any of this. I knew I was the king, so I didn’t try to fight it. But now after hanging out with Is and the rest of her friends, I realize how much more there is to is. I am king, yes, but I am also still a teenager. I am allowed to make mistakes and goof off, but I still have to do what is best for my country.

That is what I am trying to do. I am trying to get rid of my uncle somehow, making things better for the majority of my country, but for once in my life I am also having fun. All because of the most wonderful, stubborn, addictive, interesting, gorgeous girl I have ever met.

Chef Dermen  might be mad that I know his daughter, or that she has an influence on me, but it doesn’t matter. Each time I talk to her, I am reminded of how I need to step up and accept the power given to me to change things for the best. If Chef Dermen had never bought his daughter here, I’m not sure how great of a king I would be, or what would become of my country.