Chapter 91 Buying Cows.

Song Mian only stayed at home for three days, waiting for Song's mother to pack up the belongings that she had brought back from the town. Then she returned to the town with her own small baggage. After completing the entry procedures and packing up, it was a long period. In the house where Shi will live, Song Mian's new life has officially begun.

It was fine when Song Mian was here, but after he left, Song's mother's life became difficult. Old man Song would not beat her or scold her, but he would not obey her like before. Every day, except for necessary matters, he hardly talks to Song's mother, as if there is no such person in the family.

Several elders of the Song clan were a little angry after they returned home. Is it easy for you to name a clan member who is good at reading? They were ruined by Mother Song like this. The clan elders, who became increasingly angry as they thought about it, gathered together to discuss it. Although they couldn't do anything to Song Mian's mother for Song Mian's sake, they couldn't let her have it too easy.

The clan elders directly asked their wives or daughters-in-law (son-in-laws) to come to their homes in turn to "teach" Mother Song. After several times of mental bombardment, Mother Song almost suffered a nervous breakdown. Old Man Song not only didn't stop him when he saw it, but even pretended that he didn't see it, which made Song's mother shed tears several times.

Song's mother regretted what she had done more than once, and even wondered if everything would have been different if she had let Song Mian marry Lin Qin instead of being poor and loving the rich. Could it be that Song Mian could still continue to study in school and take the imperial examination? Could it be that he had already given birth to his eldest grandson? It's a pity that there is no medicine for regret in this world. No matter how much Mrs. Song regrets, nothing will change. She can only spend the rest of her life in regret.

The affairs of the Song family did not have any impact on Lin Qin. When Lin Qin learned from Brother Yi what had happened to Song Mian, it was already half a month later, and Song Mian had already returned to the town to start his teaching career. .

After Lin Qin learned that Song Mian could no longer take the scientific examination, he was just stunned for a moment, but he didn't worry about it anymore. Although Lin Qin was sorry that Song Mian could not continue the scientific examination, it was only a little bit of a pity. The relationship between him and Song Mian had ended long ago, and it could even be said that it had never begun. Whether Song Mian was admitted to a high official or farmed in the village had nothing to do with him.

"How is your health?" Brother Yi saw that Lin Qin didn't care much about Song Mian's affairs, and remembered that he had heard that Song Mian liked Lin Qin before and caused a lot of trouble, so Change the topic.

"I'll have to take medicine for a few days." Lin Qin felt heartbroken when he thought of the amount of medicine Bai Xiuniang accidentally blurted out a few days ago. He wanted to say that he didn't need to take medicine anymore and just take care of himself, but Zhang Dayong gave him a tough call. 's refused.

Last time, the doctor only prescribed five doses of medicine. One dose can be boiled twice and consumed one bowl a day. After drinking the medicine, Zhang Dayong invited the doctor to follow up with Lin Qin. After the follow-up consultation, the doctor gave Lin Qin another prescription for him to drink. Although there were no precious medicinal materials such as ginseng in it, five doses of the medicine cost 200 yuan. Fortunately, Lin Qin was relieved after drinking the five doses. There is no need to take medicine anymore, just pay attention to your health on weekdays.

"Don't be in a hurry to get pregnant after you have recovered. You lost a lot of energy when you had a miscarriage. You need to take a good rest for a while. If you get pregnant hastily, it will be bad for both your own body and the health of your child. ." Brother Yi looked at Lin Qin and said seriously.

Brother Yi was not afraid of anything else, but he was afraid that Lin Qin would risk his health to get pregnant for the sake of the child. Xiaoyue's body was still weak even after a month of miscarriage, and she needed to rest for a while before she could fully recover. It's not that you can't get pregnant after the first trimester, but it will cause great damage to the mother's body, and even the child will be weaker than other children after birth.

"Okay, I understand." In fact, during the previous follow-up consultation, the doctor also told Lin Qin not to rush into pregnancy, otherwise it would be bad for the mother and the child. How dare Lin Qin dare to do so after the doctor said so.

After Brother Yi left, Lin Qin tidied up the room and started preparing lunch. After Lin Qin was able to get out of bed to work, Bai Xiuniang was not asked to come. There were many things in the Lin family. It was fine that Lin Qin couldn't get out of bed before. Now he can work. Lin Qin was embarrassed to ask Bai Xiuniang to come.

Because the doctor said that Lin Qin was recovering well during the previous follow-up visit, Zhang Dayong did not stop Lin Qin from doing light housework, but he still refused to do heavy work, even washing dishes, saying that he could not touch cold water yet. Lin Qin even asked Lin Qin to wash vegetables with warm water and never touch cold water. Although Lin Qin felt that Zhang Dayong was exaggerating, he was also touched by Zhang Dayong's care and concern for him. He would boil a pot of boiling water and mix it with cold water every time before cooking. Come and wash the rice and vegetables.

"Have you taken the medicine today???" Zhang Dayong now asks Lin Qin if the first thing he does when he returns home is if he has taken the medicine.

"I drank it after breakfast." Lin Qin pouted childishly. He was not a child anymore, so he still disliked the bitterness of the medicine and deliberately refused to drink it. Every time he came back, he was asked if he had taken the medicine.

Zhang Dayong saw Lin Qin's childish behavior and rubbed his head lovingly. The weather gradually became colder and the fields became dry and hard. He could no longer cultivate the land and could only wait until the next spring to get warmer before continuing to cultivate. So Zhang Dayong has been running up the mountains recently. He almost goes out before dawn in the morning and doesn't come back until noon. If he were not worried that no one would do the heavy work at home, Zhang Dayong could just spend a day in the mountains.

After lunch, Zhang Dayong went to wash the dishes, while Lin Qin found Zhang Dayong's worn clothes and began to mend them. He hadn't been sewing for a while when Village Chief Li's voice came from outside the house. Lin Qin put aside the clothes that had not yet been mended and walked out of the main room to check.

Village Chief Li was seen standing outside the house with a few officers. Lin Qin saw this and shouted into the house, "Brother Dayong, come out quickly, there are officers coming."

Zhang Dayong didn't even wipe his hands when he heard Lin Qin's voice. Qian hurriedly ran out, and then he saw Village Chief Li and a few guards. Behind the guards there was an ox cart parked, and there were a lot of cloth bags on the cart. He knew they were here to collect taxes. .

Zhang Dayong opened the courtyard door to let Village Chief Li and the officers in, and then said, "I have packed up the food that you will pay taxes on later and will move it out for the weighing." Seeing that

Zhang Dayong had already prepared it, the leading officers could It saved a lot of time, and he nodded with satisfaction and his tone of voice became much calmer, "Okay, let's go."

When Zhang Dayong went to move food in the warehouse, Lin Qin poured a few bowls of sugar water and handed them to Village Chief Li and a few others. A servant said, "Thank you for your hard work, adults. Please drink a bowl of sugar water to moisten your throat."

After working all morning, the servants were really thirsty, but they didn't dare to do anything until the leading servant picked up the porcelain bowl. Take action.

After drinking a bowl of sugar water, everyone's faces became much better. Seeing that Zhang Dayong was struggling to carry it alone, they all stepped forward to help.

"Sir, we have harvested a total of 1,015 jins this year. The 30% tax is 304 jins. A bag is fifty jins. Please weigh the fifty-four jins in this bag." Zhang Dayong moved the last bag out. , said while wiping the sweat from his forehead.

The leading officer looked at the bulging courage and nodded to the officers on the side. Soon someone took down the scales and weighed them one by one. I don't blame them for being so careful, but if there is any tax gap, they have to pay for it out of their own pockets, so they have to be careful about their own money.

Zhang Dayong weighed the taxed rice several times when bagging it, so there was no problem. Soon the officer in charge of the weighing nodded to the leading officer and said there was no problem.

Upon seeing this, the leading officer took out a ledger, turned to the page with Zhang Dayong's name and address, and wrote "Delivered" under his name.

"If everyone knew how to do things like you, we brothers wouldn't have to work late at night." The leading officer sighed when he left.

Collecting taxes is a hard job. Not only do you have little money to collect but you have to work half to death every time. Many families even need help from the servants to pack their bags. It not only consumes time but also consumes energy. What if the guards are angry? It is they who will be punished for not paying all the taxes.

There are still many households in Zhuangyuan Village whose taxes have not yet been confiscated, so after loading the six bags of grain into the car, Village Chief Li and the servants continued to the next household.

After paying taxes, Zhang Dayong finally let go of his worries. He thought about his previous plan to buy cattle and said to Lin Qin, "Brother Qin, I will go to town in the afternoon and buy the cattle back." "

Okay, I'll give it to you later. " You take the money." The matter of buying the cattle had been discussed long ago. If Lin Qin hadn't had a miscarriage, the cattle cart would have been installed.

Cattle are the most powerful helpers for farmers, whether they are pulling carts or farming, so the price of cattle remains high. A calf costs three or four taels of silver, and an adult cow costs seven or eight taels of silver, which is enough for farmers to chew for a year, so most farmers are reluctant to buy cattle and cannot afford them.

Lin Qin took out the money box, opened it, thought for a moment, took out ten taels of silver, and then put the money box away.

"Isn't that a little too much?" Zhang Dayong said calmly when he saw Lin Qin taking out ten taels of silver.

"It's always good to bring more." Lin Qin put the silver in Zhang Dayong's hand and said.

Zhang Dayong nodded, and after some more instructions to Lin Qin, he changed into a slightly better set of clothes and walked to town.

After arriving in the town, Zhang Dayong went straight to the farmer's market. All kinds of animals are sold here, not to mention chickens, ducks and cows, but also sheep, whole pigs and even foxes and robes. Zhang Dayong sometimes comes to the farmer's market to sell when he doesn't hunt a lot of prey, so he is very familiar with the situation here.

After arriving at the farmer's market, he went directly to the area where cattle were sold without asking anyone. Because he came there often, Zhang Dayong knew very well whose products were cheap and good.

"Boss Wang, does he have a good cow? I want to buy one." Zhang Dayong found a dark-skinned middle-aged man in a corner of the market and asked.

Boss Wang also knew Zhang Dayong and knew that he was a hunter, so he asked a little strangely, "Of course there are good cows, but you are not a hunter. Why do you still need cows? You know that a cow is not cheap." "I said

some time ago I bought some fields, after all, you can't just rely on hunting for your life after getting married," Zhang Dayong replied.

Hearing this, Boss Wang suddenly realized, "I see, this hunting is not as good as farming." After sighing, he led Zhang Dayong to an ox and said, "We have some friendship, so I won't lie to you. This is The cow is just one year old this year. It can be said that it is in its prime. If you buy it back, it can be used for a long time. However, the price is a bit expensive and costs eight taels of silver."

Zhang Dayong carefully inspected the teeth and hooves of the cow and nodded secretly. It is indeed a head. It's great, but the price is still a bit expensive. I thought about it and said, "Can it be cheaper? Eight taels is a bit expensive." "

Brother, you often hang out here and you should know that although my price is a bit expensive, I have good stuff. It's not worth it." Boss Wang said without giving up.

With Boss Wang's attitude, Zhang Dayong knew that the price could not be reduced, and the cow was really good, so Zhang Dayong agreed to the deal.

There are people in the farmer's market who specialize in managing transactions, just in case someone is cheating or causing trouble. So when Zhang Dayong nodded, Boss Wang called his eldest son to look at the stall, took the scalpers and Zhang Dayong to the entrance of the farmer's market, and managed The trading point is set here.

The person in charge of managing the farmer's market is a small official in the county government who is not ranked at all. However, Zhang Dayong and Boss Wang do not dare to show any bad attitude. No matter how low-ranking the other party is, he is still the person who manages the entire farmer's market. Really. It would be difficult for them to hang out at the farmer's market if they offended the other party.

The clerk first asked Zhang Dayong and Boss Wang about the items being traded, and then wrote a document for the two of them to sign and pledge, indicating that the transaction was approved by both parties. After the transaction is completed, this document will be kept by the clerk, so that if any problems arise in the future, there will be a basis for investigation.

After signing and postponing, Zhang Dayong and Boss Wang handed over the money and the cattle.

After Zhang Dayong led the scalper out of the market, he was about to return to the village. However, when passing by a dried fruit store, Zhang Dayong suddenly stopped and looked at the door of the dried fruit store not knowing what he was thinking.