81) 𝓵𝓲𝓴𝓮 𝓪 𝓹𝓻𝓮𝓽𝔃𝓮𝓵

{continued from last chapter, after practice}

-Ariella POV-
I was walking down the shoe isle of Dick's Sporting Goods. As I scanned the isle for the type of shoes I needed.

I was looking for three things: shoes to wear on the court for volleyball, tennis shoes, cheer shoes. And maybe a few other things if there's anything I like.

I've been feeling really strange since yesterday, I don't know how I feel about Eddie. I love him. He knows that. But nothing is happening. I've told my self the same thing everytime, maybe I have to make the next move?

But I've made all of the moves to get up to out next step, I want to be in a relationship with him, but I also don't want it to turn to shit just like Nathan. I would rather be his best friend for the rest of my life than try to move on and just lose it all. But then again, like Chrissy said, If I don't try now, someone else could have him.

Summer was great! Can it be summer for rest of our short lives? This summer. With him. Together, sneaking around my friends.

But I want more! I don't want to end up being his best friend while I have to watch him with another girl. Wait.

Wait. Hold on. Am I really in love? This isn't a puppy crush anymore is it? I don't know how I really feel.

" Ariel?" I heard, I shot my head up in the direction of the voice, " Patrick! Hi!" I stated, walking up to him. I forgot how attractive he was. " I haven't seen you since-" I started,

"Since the end of championship in April, I know. But I'm glad I'm back. I'm sorry I missed  your birthday." Patrick said as he softly grabbed my hands. I feel weird talking to Patrick like this.

" It's okay. Im happy you're back too. How is your uncle?" I asked, Patrick left the last month of school to go to Oregon  because his uncle got sick, really sick.

" He's been doing good. What are you doing out on a Wednesday?"

"I need new cheer shoes and shoes for volleyballs and tennis. What about you?" I replied as I pulled a pair of Nike cheer shoes off of the shelf.

" Me too. I need some new cleats for football. " He said, following me to a bench as we both sat down. I slipped on the shoe to see how it would fit, I've never tried this version before.

" Oh! Patrick! I'm varsity cheer captain!" I squealed excitedly, " Alright! That's awesome. I knew you would make it." He smiled at me, " I may or may not have overheard Jason telling Chrissy that Coach Scott might make you co-captain." I told him.

"Carver with Chrissy? I knew it would happen." He replied, " Reminds me, what about you? Are you dating anyone?"

I'd be lying if I said yes but Eddie, " No. I'm single."

-Eddie POV-
I walked into the sporting goods store with Steve. Ariel told me to pick her up around 2:30,  it's 2:20. Chrissy called and told Steve that she made captain. Steve wanted to come and congratulate her.

I walked over to the shoe section, I was not prepared for what I would see next. Patrick McKinney.

Patrick McKinney, tall, 'fine' football quarterback Patrick McKinney, sitting beside my Ariel, playing with her hair, sitting really close to her, flirting with her!

"How could someone like you, still possibly be single?" Patrick asked her, "Oh! She's right there, Munso-" Steve started but quickly got quiet when he realized I was eavesdropping. He joined in and we listened to their conversation from the other end of the isle.

" What do you think of these?" She referred to her cheerleading shoes, "They're perfect, I think. What about these cleats?" I couldn't see the cleats from this angle, but they were ugly according to Ari.

Steve sat down on a bench, " Dude sit. We look like creeps." He mumbled.

"Student readiness is next week, right? And don't you have to go for cheer?" I heard McKinney ask, " Yeah! You should come see me, we're doing a few cheers to promote tryouts." Ariel replied, scooting closer to him on the bench they were sitting on.

"You haven't even hooked up with anyone this summer?" He said to her, " Uh- No, not really. I went to a few parties, but I didn't really hook up with anyone. This summer was sorta boring." She said, I couldn't tell if she really meant that.

I heard them begin to walk down the aisle and towards us, shit! Act natural?

She made eye contact with me the moment she turned the corner of the isle. Her face started to change color. "Eddie? Oh! Uh- hi Eddie. Hi Steve." She said, I hadn't noticed Patrick's arm around her until he awkwardly moved it off of her.

" Steve you know Patrick, Eddie, this is my friend Patrick, you might've seen him at some of the games, he plays football and basketball." Her tone is off. I don't go to the games. This is why she just wanted me to drop her off, so she could meet up with him? Why is she being weird?

Oh? This summer was boring? Am I not entertaining enough for her? 'This summer was kinda boring' the best two months of my life! Are boring? Oh and she's single now?

"Hey, Patrick? Ariel, I'm so proud of you! You made varsity captain!" Steve hugged his sister tightly, Ariel hugged him back. " Thank you Stevie," Her eyes traveled back down to me.

" Eddie? Are you proud of me?" She asked sort of monotone. I'm really fucking stupid. " Yep! Real proud." I stated as I stood up. "Can't believe you're single again. Your ex was a real jackass." I said sarcastically.

" Eddie what? Come here." She demanded, grabbing my arm and pulling me away from Steve and Patrick McKinney.

"What the actual hell are you talking about?" She giggled, " That's what you just told Patrick McKinney, This summer was real boring, huh?" I said to her to express how I felt without  getting angry at her.

I am mad at her. But I don't want to be. " You heard that?" She asked, " Oh, I'm sorry Ed. I didn't mean it like that, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I just thought we're still sneaking around?"

Right. She's right. She's not mine."Shit. I'm sorry. You're right. Sorry I reacted like that. " I muttered to her.

-Ariella POV-
Why did I say that? I don't know. I am single, but I'm not. I don't even know the answer to that either. I really do love Eddie, at least I think I do. I kinda like Patrick.

No! But I like Eddie. I love Eddie. I really don't know. I feel so twisted like a pretzel.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked Eddie, " No, sweethe-" He replied but I had already starting talking before I heard his full response, " Do you promise?" He chuckled, but I felt weird again.

" I promise, Ariel."