Dead To Me

Just been a long week y'all, this was edited once. I'm so sorry. Please be kind to me. I'm sorry if you don't like it.
This is not a sad one so don't be afraid.

Word count: 5.1k

Y/ns life was never easy. Sure it wasn't hard persey.. yet it wasn't the easiest. She grew up with a nice family in a nice town filled with nice people. Everything was so nice. Her family loved her and she loved them. Y/n had a multitude of friends, many whom did not know her secret. Shit- even her family did not know her secret.
This secret you ask, wasn't one for the weak hearted. It wasn't something that happened everyday to everyone who walked the earth. Only few had this secret-- a gift some would call it. A burden y/n called it. It was so.. how do you say it? ANNOYING. FRUSTRATING. EXASPERATING. God she wanted to rip her hair out even thinking about her "ability". It was the bane of her existence, she wanted nothing more than to rid herself of it and move on with her life.

Anyway.

Y/n was forced to move (against her better judgment) to Hawkins Indiana.
Now what would a family like y/ns.. you know ones who lived in a nice gated community be doing in Hawkins indiana in the great year of 2023? Simple. Y/ns father owns a construction company, and there are great opportunities out here in buttfuck nowhere (as y/ns dad put it.. okay maybe not the buttfuck part.)

20 years ago, the lot once called "Forest hills trailer park" had been bulldozed and left vacant. As of the past couple it has turned into a flourishing community, one that had a gate and guard to get access to the homes, one that had beautiful houses with rich families occupying them, one that y/n was now moving into.
"A fresh start" is what y/ns mom called it.

Bullshit.

Y/n had to start over now. With no friends. With no will to live.
Sure the first time she saw the house she was taken aback by it. Two stories with a balcony, a wrap around porch, a grand entry that had two.. not one.. but two sets of stairs leading up to the second level.
Her room was so big and had its own bathroom. No need to share with her brothers, she had her own that she could decorate however she pleased.

The home, new, felt eerie when she stepped foot into it. Like someone was watching her, like there was a presence she couldn't see.. looking at her.
No one else could feel it, no one could feel that cool air breeze past them with all the windows closed. It was strange, but something that could be overlooked when she found out that the balcony she saw was all hers.
How fucking cool is that?! She had her own bathroom and her own balcony outside her bedroom.

Moving day wasn't so bad, other than the fact that it was June and the Midwest heat was making everyone sweat down their backs. Y/n opted for staying inside and sorting boxes verses bringing the boxes inside.
That was a job meant for her brothers, who bickered back and forth who could carry more boxes.
Let them handle the hard stuff while y/n stuck labels on things that needed to be moved up the stairs (yet another job for the boys). Her little sister running around the house creating chaos amongst all the disorganized rooms. But that was just y/ns family, chaos. Between y/n kinda being the black sheep in her family, her brothers in copious amounts of extra curriculars, and her little sister in ballet, the house was almost always empty or on the rare occasion of a full house there was no peace and quiet.

Y/n couldn't wait to unpack everything and get it organized in her room. For someone who didn't want to move, she was so excited to organize her room.. maybe this was a fresh start. Maybe she would revamp her style, change up her personality, be someone she wanted to be.
Maybe she was finally going to have a normal life-- fuck she could feel someone watching her. She could always tell when someone was watching her, it was unsettling, like all the hairs on her body standing on end.
It was always things that go bump in the night, doors left open, that feeling of someone staring at you from across the supermarket. That eerie feeling of going to investigate a strange noise and finding nothing there. It always made people feel sick, but y/n was used to this feeling.. it was almost comforting.