No judgement ❤️‍🔥 Steve (request)

Song: Bruno Major - nothing

Imagine; you can't seem to get through the rapport, there's a good reason for that.

Warning: this chapter was supposed to come out like a year ago and I am so sorry. Minor angst, fluff, Steve being amazing. Reader being insecure.

Short and sweet (I think)

•••

You have ways to not read anything at all. In restaurants you usually get why they recommend, on missions all you have to do is talk and understand what they say and Fury doesn't see a problem with you not being able to read.

You don't want the team to know however, it's a little insecurity you have. You fear they will judge you, they know little about your past and how you got here and you'd like to keep it that way. That was until Steve found out.

He wasn't judgemental, he wasn't surprised or childlike towards you when he found out. He wanted to help, and help he did.

He smuggled in children books and made some for you himself, which you keep on a special shelf in your room. He started smuggling in more and more for you to learn to read. He put hours of work into helping you and now you want to make him something in return.

Because being illiterate doesn't only mean you can't read, he had to help you write as well. Luckily he's a good teacher.

And now you can finally hand him something that proves that the hours you both put in, paid off. Sure it took you some time, but you're happy with the result.

You hand him the letter you wrote, all neatly packed inside an envelope, at the breakfast table. He's the first to arrive, always, just like today.

'What's this?' He asks surprised as he takes the brightly coloured envelope from your hands.

'You'll see..' you happily plop down on the chair next to his.

He takes the letter out of the envelope and starts reading. His smile grows sentence by sentence and by the end his smile has grown to reach his eyes. 'I am so proud of you...' he tells you and you chuckle.

'Thank you...' you say nervously. Did he read that last sentence at all?

'And I would love to... go out with you...' he tells you and you let out a breath of relief. 'Especially after such a sweet letter...'

'So does that mean you'll do a mission report from time to time?' He says and you push him playfully making him laugh out.

'In your dreams, Fury has relieved me off that duty and I have that on paper...I think...'