The Lake House Mission ❤️‍🔥 Bucky Barnes (request)

Song: Jacob Banks - in the name of love.

Imagine: you join Bucky on a mission, leading to a confession.

I'll maybe make a part two but idk yet because I literally have no time.

•••

Bucky let's out a low whistle as he enters the lake house you inherited. He was expecting like a small cottage but this was entirely different.

Instead of something old and cosy it's a large, modern house. To him it's still a mysterie how you even inherited such a place. That's not the only mystery there is about you.

Your whole history and personal life is a mystery to everyone but Nick Fury. He knows everything he has to in order for him to properly place you in the avengers. But that's about how far the knowledge goes for Bucky and the team.

That's not entirely true, some things you aren't able to hide from him. He's quiet, observant and an assassin, it's a deadly combination for someone keeping secrets.

He knows that you cry easily, small arguments set you off. He knows your powers are fuelled with anger, but you hate to use it on people that don't deserve it. You're stubborn as hell, meaning that you don't ask for any help, you got it yourself. Lastly you're the light of day, you're the one in charge of fun for the team. You always get them to laugh in tough times, even the broody assassin had a good laugh a couple of times.

But other than that, he knows nothing. Nothing about your past, your family. Hell he didn't even know you owned this house until Fury send Bucky away because of Hydra getting too close for comfort and you decided to tag along.

You suddenly seem somewhat gloomy to him. It's like the second you walked in, something dark replaced the light inside of you, even if that sounds exaggerated. He doesn't ask however what it is that makes you so gloomy.

'You okay?'

'Yeah I'm fine... I'm just gonna put my stuff in the room and probably take a long shower...'

'And you're cool with acting like a couple? It's probably gonna go on for a while...' he chuckles lightly.

'I'm a professional Barnes... it's insulting that you think otherwise...' you smile back at him, but it's a tired smile, not the energetic one you usually give him.

'We should probably sleep in the same room, to not raise suspicion...'

'Fine by me...' you reply before walking up the large staircase.

That was the start of a long first two weeks. As it turns out, acting like a couple in public was a lot harder for you than you initially thought it would be. Bucky however turned out to be much better.

He is always seeking your hand in public, you deny it very often but he always tries to make this comfortable for you. He always gives you compliments, makes you smile and blush but he always managed that easily with you, even before this whole charade.

It bothers him a little bit that you don't seem to be okay with small things like holding. You're supposed to act like a couple and yet you seem hesitant. He decides it's best to just talk about it. Communication is key, he still hears his mother echo in his head, even though that was advice for actual relationships at the time.

'Y/n?' He clears his throat behind you and you glance over your shoulder before turning to continue looking at the restless lake in front of you.

'What's up?' You ask him.

You feel his eyes burn holes into your back before you hear him shuffle close to you. He sits down next to you and follows your eyeline.

'I uh.. I don't want to offend you, first off. I want to respect your boundaries, but I just need to know if somethings wrong...'

'Something's wrong?'

'I mean you don't want to do basic couple stuff, and I do have to say that it caught the neighbours attention, and the attention of the folk around here... I mean is there a specific reason maybe? I mean maybe I overstepped it?

You feel awful for making him feel like you don't want to do basic couple things, he's been so respective of your space and boundaries, and to think that it might be a reaction to him overstepping them breaks your heart.

Bucky could do nothing wrong in your eyes, he could literally stab you and you would be like "that's on me". You're just scared. That's it.

'It's not you...' you mutter back. 'I just...' you let out a sigh. 'Never mind...'

'No.. don't do that...'

'Do what?' You question as he turns to face you.

'You always dismiss yourself... you're stubborn... come on... you know you can trust me.. I won't laugh, I won't get angry... whatever it is just tell me because it's driving me nuts...'

You stare at him for a moment, that's not the reaction you thought you would get. Truth is you don't want to act like a couple, you've already fallen for him. And that right there scares you.

'Because I'm scared... that maybe I'll catch feelings when we act..' Not a complete lie, other than the fact that you already did.

'Would that be such a bad thing?' The gleam in his eyes makes you smile a little.

'No..' you shyly reply. '... everyone I've held close to me ends up hurt...'

'You can't hurt me Y/n...' he assures you.

'Everyone says that.. and then I always end up hurting them... or losing them in some way...you mean too much to me for me to do that to you... if that even makes sense...'

He gently takes your hand in his, carefully watching your reaction. You stare at him with disbelieve. Is he deaf? Didn't he just hear you say that everyone you get close to ends up hurt or dead?

'I was glad to hear you wanted to come with me... I wouldn't know any better companion on a mission like this... and I like you.. a lot actually...so please allow me to show you that you can get close to others without hurting them..'

'I...I don't know...'

'Do you trust me?'

'Of course I do-'

'Then trust me with this... that I can love you and not get hurt by you...and we don't have to jump right into this.. baby steps...'

You hesitate for a moment, you trust Bucky but the anxiety makes it difficult for you to actually believe his words.

'Hey... look at me...' he gently says. Your head lifts up. 'You can at least give it a try... and if you don't like it.. we stop...'

'No I can't do that to you.. it wouldn't be fair...' you shake your head.

He gently takes hold of your jaw to make you look at him again. 'I want to...like I said.. I like you...'

You think of it once again, your crush would finally be answered, and who knows. Maybe this time around you could actually have a shot at the life you've wanted for a while.

'O-okay... okay...'

'Yeah?' His charming smile returns and a laugh leaves his lips.

'Yes, okay!' You chuckle at his happy demeanour.

'So uhm... can I take you on an actual date? I mean now that we're safe and off duty for a while, we got time on our hands for a vacation of some sort..'

'Yes, Barnes, I would love to go on a date with you...'