To keep on living ❤️‍🔥 Steve Rogers

Song: Winter Aid - the wisp sings.

Imagine; you get hurt on a mission, you experience severe trauma and he helps you through it.

I don't know why I wrote this but then again, this happens a lot.

Angst, mention of burns, hospitals, hallucinations, trauma.

•••

Pain is the first thing you register when you gain consciousness. You hear some beeping in the distance, you hear people talking but you can't make out what they're saying.

You try to open your eyes but it's like they're glued shut. You lift your hand to try and pry then open slowly but there's something covering them.

'Y/n?' It's still distant, but you can understand what the person is saying.

'Y/n..'

'I can't see...' your throat hurts from using your voice. Your other hand comes up to caress it.

'Hey... hey... it's okay...' the distance is gone suddenly. Your hears ring with overstimulation as you try to rip the bandage away from your eyes.

You need to know where you are, you need to know who is in the room with you and what happened. Maybe you've been taken by some enemy.

'It's me.. hey...' you feel a pair of familiar hands on your wrists, prying your hands away from your own.

'I can't see...' you breathe.

'I know baby I know...easy...' His voice soothes you, even though you can't see him, his voice and touch are enough to effectively calm you down.

'It hurts...' you let out a whine. 'It hurts...'

'I know... the doctor will give you something for it okay?'

'What's going on?'

'A mission gone wrong...' His hand now slides into yours. You can hear him sit down on the bed, you feel it dip besides your legs.

Your other hand goes free from his grip but you're quick to reach out again. Your fingers take hold of soft material, one you've run your fingers over many times. 'Are you okay?'

He smiles at that, it's a small smile but it's there. He cannot believe that she's worrying about him after what just happened to her.

'I'm okay...don't worry about me...' there's a waver in his voice, he has definitely been crying, that's not good.

'I can't see...' you repeat.

Steve hears your heart rate pick up, not only on the machine, which is a tad later than your actual heart. But he can hear your heart in your chest. He places his free hand on top of it. 'You gotta calm down for me sweetheart..'

'I can't fucking see Steve!' Your frustration gets worse when he doesn't respond immediately. 'Everything hurts!'

'Sweetheart.. I can only remove it if you calm down...' his hands grip your wrists again. 'Take a deep breath...'

You follow his instructions, taking deep breaths and calming your racing heart. 'There you go, baby..'

He takes a breath himself before you feel pressure against the top of your head. 'I'm going to remove the bandage now okay?'

Before he actually lifts it, he asks Friday to dim the lights. This way your eyeballs won't burn in their sockets.

You feel the fabric lift from your eyes. You open them fully now, only to find the eyesight blurry. You blink a few times, it's not going away though.

You see the outlines of Steve. You see the bed, you can see your hands and the monitors next to your bed. There's something strange about your hands though,

'It's... blurry...' you cringe.

'The doctor said it might stay that way for a few days... but given your serum you'll get it back... your skin will heal completely... with some rest you'll be just fine...'

'Skin will heal?' What the fuck happened?'

'The base we were infiltrating was rigged...you got in first...' he takes a deep breath before continuing. 'The second you set foot in the building... it exploded...'

Your breath hitches. It explains the fiery pain across your body. It explains why your lungs feel like literal hell.

'The doctors said that when you get that sight back, you can come back home with me...I know it's a lot to take in.. but I'm here okay? I'm not going anywhere...'

'Okay...'

•••

He really did keep his promise, he wasn't going anywhere. It was meant like a promise but as the days progress, it seems more like a life purpose to Steve.

The doctors said that it's best if someone is with you, especially when you're asleep. Because of the trauma you got from the mission, your mind is creating dangers that aren't there, hallucinations if you will.

It happens mostly during the night, your body needs sleep, but your mind creates these hallucinations, making you fear closing your eyes for long periods at a time. Not only that, but you have developed a genuine fear of entering the bedroom without any lights on.

You carefully scan yourself in the mirror. The sight is fully present, your skin is slowly returning back to normal but your eyes are distant. You have dark bags under your eyes from the lack of sleep.

'Hey...' a voice pulls your eyes away from the mirror. Steve smiles fondly at you while extending his hand.

You look past him, he left the light on thankfully. You take his hand and let him guide you to the bed.

He lets you get in on your own before joining you. He pulls the covers over the two of you before wrapping his arm around you. 'You okay?' He whispers. You lay your head on his chest.

'I'm okay...' you reply hesitantly. You tilt your head to look up at him. 'Are you?'

'Always am when you're there, Sweetheart...'

'I'm scared...'

'I know you are, I'm here, if those creatures show up again, you tell them to fuck off okay? That I will punch them if they get close..'

'I don't want to sleep...'

'Your body needs it, you can't heal without sleep...'

You hun at him, a hand carefully coming up his chest. You take hold of the material, the same as he wore in the hospital. 'The Henley...' you smile.

'You remember it?'

'It's your lucky shirt... you wore it to our dates..'

'I'm convinced it's going to help...'

'It's already helping...thank you..'

'No need to thank me.. I'm always looking out for my best girl..' he replies. 'Now close your eyes, I'll protect you...'

'Okay...okay...'