Job i'm willing to take ❤️‍🔥 Steve Rogers

Song: Doja Cat - been like this.

Imagine: you get a job offer, you try to talk to him about it, he thinks you already said yes.

Steve is a real dick in this but I just had to write this and idk why.

•••

'I don't know Natasha... I mean... I could just not tell him... you know how he gets...'

'You can't keep this a secret from him Y/n...' she replies. 'He's gonna find out and then you have to deal with a grumpy soldier for weeks... you know how he gets...'

You let out a frustrated sigh, of course you want to tell him. You've been trying to work your way up to get a job like this, in New York, not Japan. That's why you said no. You feel like it's too far away.

You don't want to force Steve away from his friends, you working in Japan would mean that you'd have to move. Steve and you are inseparable, he'd want to come with you, and you can't pull him away from his life, you said no, they were surely surprised. Fury however made sure the same job would be made available right here in New York, you didn't ask how.

'I mean you know he's going to be happy for you either way.. he's completely wrapped around your finger Y/n... just tell him-'

'Tell me what?'

Your breath catches in your throat. Sure you were going to tell him but not right now! Your head shoots up to meet his and a frown already washes over his face.

'Nat.. could you leave us alone please?' You ask her and she nods.

You shouldn't be so nervous, nothing will change so what are you even worried about?

'So what were or were you not going to tell me?'

'I Uhm... I got a job offer...'

'But honey that's great! I'm so happy for you!' He smiles. 'It's in Japan...' his smile falters when he hears you say those words.

'Japan?'

'Yes but don't worry-'

'You said no right?' He immediately replies, it's rude how fast he cuts you off. You frown at him now. 'Excuse me?'

'You said no right? I mean, I can't exactly come with you... and..'

'And what?' You spit at him. You cross your arms and jut your hip out. 'Well you're not safe on your own-'

'I can handle myself Steve... and what the hell do you even mean with "you said no right?" I worked my ass of to even get offered a job like that.. for years...' you don't care that he doesn't know all the information, you don't even expect him to get mad like this, but even after four years of being together, clearly he can still surprise you.

'I mean I can't leave everything behind.. my job is important... and our relationship wouldn't survive distance... I mean no relationship does...' he makes it sound so nonchalant, like it's common knowledge.

'And my job isn't? Good to know where I stand with you then..'

'Come on Y/n! I save the world and you assist... Shield assists...'

'So what you're saying is that your job is more important than mine?' Your tone is no longer sharp with him, no that has gone away the second he said that. He couldn't have hurt you more than saying that.

'Yes, basically...' he sighs.

'That fucking hurts... you're always so supportive, I've worked my ass off for this job and the first thing you say when I mention Japan is confirm that I said no...' your eyes fill with unwanted tears, god this isn't something you wanted to cry over.

'I'm sorry but-'

'I clearly made a mistake when I told them I wouldn't take the job...and I don't think you have to worry about this..' you gesture between you two. 'Surviving long distance, because clearly it can't serve short distance either...'

His eyes go wide and his mouth opens in shock, he hasn't anticipated this when he said those things. 'You already told them no?'

'Yes.. that's what I wanted to say before you rudely cut me off... I didn't want to tell you I got offered the same in Japan because Fury will make that position available in New York... I told Nat it wouldn't have any use telling you.. because I'm basically doing the same here in New York...'

He stares at you for a second. 'I didn't want you to give up everything, I didn't want this to happen... so I told them no... Fury was surprised and offered me this instead... but clearly I made a fucking mistake...' angry tears make their way down your face. 'I worked for over 10 years to get to this point and you don't even have the decency to listen, instead you just turn into an asshole... you don't even try to come up with solutions... no you just decide then and there that your job is more important than mine...'

Steve's hand reaches up to brush them away, this wasn't what he wanted to happen. His mouth again was faster than his brain.

'I'm sorry-'

'Save me the bullshit, Steve...' you flinch away from his hand and brush past him. 'Sorry I bothered you...I won't do it again...' you speak before turning into the hallway, a sob wrecking through your body.

Another one follows shortly after, and without realising, it's turning into fully crying. Not just angry and hot tears. No this is full on hurt, sadness, but mostly hurt.

The rest of the day you spend in your old room at the compound, Tony offered you to live there even before you and Steve started dating, luckily he kept it empty.

They all came to congratulate you on the promotion, they must've heard it from Fury himself. They don't question why you're in your old room, they know what happened and it's causing some tension.

'Hey...' it comes from the doorway making you turn your head. Your face immediately turns stoic at the sight of Steve.

'Don't...'

'Don't what?' He asks.

'Don't come in here and start your speech of how sorry you are and that you didn't mean it... you always do this when you say something that hurts me...' You sigh.

'I really am sorry... I should've let you talk... then this wouldn't have happened.. I wouldn't have fucked up.. you deserve that job...and you were right... I should've come with solutions.. your job is also just as important as mine...'

'Here comes the speech again...'

'I mean it... I don't want this to be the end... of us... I'm trying to fix this-'

'Maybe I don't want to fix this... maybe this time your words actually hurt me to the limit...'

'Please...'

'I needed your support... even if I said no you should've supported me because that's all I've done for you in the past years, maybe for once I needed it back... and all you did was give me the exact opposite... this isn't one of our arguments Steve, we don't kiss and make up and go to bed like nothing happened.. this time I can't...'

'I get that... I do.. and I know I fucked up and I won't ask of you to just kiss and make up... act like nothing happened...I want you to know that I'm sorry and that you're right... I want you to know that our jobs are equally important... and that I'm proud of you... and happy for you that you got the promotion...'

You just nod at him, not trusting your own voice at the moment. It's going to break if you even try to reply. These are the words you wanted this afternoon, not after you fought to the point where you feel like actually breaking up. You don't want to break up with him, but the thought is there.

'I love you...' he hums, hoping for a response. When he doesn't get one however, he sighs before leaving you alone in your room.

You shouldn't have said anything.