The sound of love 4 ❤️‍🔥 Knight!Steve

Song: Maleficent 2 ost- the phoenix (only up to 3:40) or everything, I can't tell you what to do.

Warnings: angst like a lot, James and Tony being assholes. Steve causing a misunderstanding, Steve being a dumbass. Steve still being deaf and Natasha being the mediator.

•••

The blood isn't washing off, even though to anyone else looking they would be considered clean, you still can't seem to rub off the thick, red, blood.

You haven't hurt people like that in years, the guilt is slowly seeping into you and the other avengers aren't helping.

You haven't been allowed near him ever since they pried him off of you after you got back. James called it a "safety measure".

You suddenly became this liability while your sisters images were still intact. Nat and Wanda were still part of their group, but ever since you got back, you don't feel like they accept you anymore. You hardly blame them after what you did to those soldiers.

Steve has healed completely from the wounds that had been inflicted on him by Rumlow, you can't possibly phantom what they did in its entirety. You don't ask and he doesn't tell. You don't want to pry. You love him after all, even if he aangaapte distance as well.

Steve didn't see, but they signed to him the horrors of what you'd done to get him back. He wouldn't be able to see it anyway because you'd sisters took care of it. But nevertheless Steve wanted nothing to with you as well. That one hurts the most.

You're married, you came to help him, you got in harms way to save him, you healed him after and still he suddenly gives you the cold shoulder.

You've gotten worse over the past weeks, you keep trying to wash yourself when you're clean, rubbing so hard that the skin is badly damaged at this point. You need it off, the guilt, the scales the blood, it's too much...

'Stop sister, you're hurting yourself...' Natasha takes your hands in hers. You hiss at the sudden contact.

'What does it matter? I'm already as hurt as can be..'

'They will come around...'

'Will they? I am married to one and still... ever since I rescued and healed him, he's been ignoring me... my guess is that he simply does not want to be attached to such a monstrosity of a woman-'

'Stop... Y/n he has said nothing about it... perhaps he just needs some time, they did horrible things to the man...' She replies and you shake your head. You pull your hands from hers.

'It's Edward all over again, I don't know if my heart can take another break like this...' you mutter before going into the water.

Natasha follows you and remains by your side. 'I know how this sounds... but you should give it some time...'

'It has been weeks!' You yell suddenly, she flinched at the sudden outburst but she still remains close to you. 'I had to miss him for months already, I was scared out of my mind when I heard he was captured, I risked everything to safe him and bring him back to his friends! then I healed him and now you all sit together like some family and I have to sit alone!'

'Y/n-'

'Do you have any idea how hurtful it is to see the people you care about, your own husband and sisters, laugh and smile together and you have to stand by the sidelines of it all? Why do I get punished for saving my own husband?!'

'He has to get used to the idea-' she tried to grab your arm but you swing it away from her. Creating some distance.

'Spare me with that nonsense please, he knew exactly whom, what,  he married! Humans are all the same!' Your fingers grasp at your wedding ring.

'What are you doing?' She asks concerned as she watches you pull it off with such anger.

'Give it to him, maybe he can find a more suitable woman for him, perhaps one who isn't a siren...' your voice grows raw and breaks here and there. 'Only you and Wanda know where to find me, they don't need to know...'

'Stop, please don't... Steve loves you, Y/n...'

'I thought that too...' you speak before diving deep into the lake, out of sight of the avengers and Natasha and Wanda.

•••

Natasha stands in front of Steve, she has this primal look on her eyes which kind of scares him if he's honest.

She signs for him to hold up his hand and she drops the ring in it. Steve gives her a questioning look.

'Why?' He signs.

'Y/n told me to give it to you... so you can find someone more suitable...' her hands sign with a certain anger and sharpness.

'Dodged a bullet there..' James mutters and earns a punch to the arm from Wanda. 'That's my sister you're talking about...'

'She can hardly be that when I saw what she did to those soldiers...' Tony adds onto James' statement.

'She did that to save your friend! She hasn't done that in years and she will never do it again if she doesn't have to...you should be on your knees thanking her...'

'You should really get over it.. what are you? Maidens?' Clint asks as he looks at both James and Tony.

Steve stands up suddenly. 'Where can I find her?'

'She doesn't want to be found, especially by the one who brutally harmed her heart...' Natasha replies.

'Please, I.. I didn't mean to, I'm not scared of her I just.. I had a lot to deal with... didn't want her to worry...'

'You ignored her..' she seethes. 'And I was foolish enough to let you all treat her the way you did... has she been nothing but kind to you?'

'Exactly, in the years we've hidden here she hasn't trusted anyone else like she did you...' Wanda tells them.

Steve catches Natasha's attention again by laying his hand on her arm. His eyes plead for her to give him your location.

'Please...' he mouths.

'She is at the pond, near the magical tree... that's where she always goes after someone hurts her...'

Steve's heart clenches when he sees Natasha sign that last part, you've been hurt badly before, you've told him that.

It certainly wasn't his intention to harm you, to make you think he has been ignoring you. He would never, he closed himself off and he wants to punch his own head for that. He is thankful that you saved him, he could care less about the chaos you left behind, someone was bound to kill them anyway, and it isn't technically murder on your part if they fought themselves.

Natasha stops him before he walks off. 'Be careful with touch... her skin is damaged...'

Steve swallows down the lump that has formed, 'how?'

'She feels guilty, she's trying to wash it off... she's trying to wash off the blood, her scales.. everything that reminds her of that day...'

Steve's eyes close and he keeps them closed for a while, how could he be so stupid. And more importantly how could his friends be so mean to you when you're the one providing them with every comfort in the world?

How could he have let them?