Part 173

Jennifer saw his eyes light up with recognition, however small it was.

"Yeah..." He leaned on one of the many chairs she laid out. "What's changed since?"

"Retirement." The former commander sighed. "There's some—coffee and donuts over there if you want some."

Turning to his six, Y/N raised his brows and made the walk over with Jennifer following.

"I wanted to do something else other than sitting around," She said with a low tone. "And I figured it would do some people good if they—talked."

Pouring himself a cup of coffee, Y/N nodded along, knowing exactly what she meant.

"You ever feel like that sometimes?" She asked, leaning on the table of complimentary food.

"Like what?" Y/N asked, sipping his drink.

"Like—you're the odd one out. You want to talk to someone, or maybe you have to. But you would prefer it to be someone like us, or you're out of luck and get some—white collar."

"Yeah." Y/N didn't need to think on the question long. "I felt like a black sheep... people would always stare or pat me on the back for my bravery."

The lack of emotion in Y/N's eyes said it all, how drained he was from the experience and how much he hated it at the time.

"The shrinks or—doctors, whoever it is I saw, they always judged me, or it felt like it, at least."

"Like how?" Jennifer asked.

"I don't know." He shrugged. "The way they looked, their face and the smell of disinfectant. It always felt like I was talking to some rich asshole instead of someone who was supposed to help me."

"Yeah..." Jennifer nodded with a solemn nod. "Nowadays, shrinks downplay how you feel. They think you had a mild experience and give you a prescription, something to dull the pain or make you happy, smile... even when you feel like you shouldn't."

"Sounds about right." Y/N replied solemnly.

"Well..." The former commander made her way back to the circle of chairs. "You won't have to worry about that. I don't have a diploma hung up at home."

As much of a joke it sounded like, Y/N was still comforted by the fact.

He could already feel the difference in the air, and his assumption years ago seemed to hold some semblance of truth.

Jennifer had seen her fair share of horrors, and just like anyone in their current position, anyone that wanted to gather here and talk, they knew how to get past all the struggling.

Y/N joined her after a couple more sips and a refill of his coffee. And as he sat, as the time passed, the chairs began to fill with people just like him.

Something Y/N began to notice the moment a man came in to sit at his side, was the abundance of dogs they brought with. Not the sort to happily greet you, too. The medium sized pooch just within arm's reach of Y/N was still, his dark brown eyes focused on his owner with a happy and attentive pant.

"I've seen this breed of dog before..."

Ludwig appeared by the dogs side, lowered in a kneel with scanning eyes.

What kind is it?

"I'm not sure, but I know they're a fine breed for herding sheep."

Y/N wasn't sure how service dogs work, but he wasn't exactly going to disturb the little guy from his job, no matter how nonchalant he seemed.