Part 91

Breaking the news to the Chieftain wasn't easy; there was the denial, claiming their long-distance scouts would have seen something of such magnitude.

Then, there was panic. A week's deadline worsened everything; the morale was sure to plummet, possibly shortening the time frame.

Y/N gave the news to the necessary people; despite his legend, he had little political sway. Councilwoman Sapphire made that very clear when she could only offer assistance in evacuations.

The news spread quickly overnight; just about every person on Remnant heard of the army of Grimm. Some were sympathetic; most weren't.

Y/N was seated on a bench overlooking the ocean; his tired eyes scanned the deep blue as the island was thrown into chaos.

His ringing scroll caught his attention; he sighed and reached into his pocket to answer.

"Y/N." It was James; he sounded tired and stressed. "It's been a while."

"What did you need?" Y/N asked blankly, ignoring his gentle greeting.

The General sighed through his nose and ran his hand through the uncut stubble on his chin.

"Not me," He said. "The council. They want you back here immediately. They said it's urgent."

James held his breath; he could practically feel the denial through the small screen.

"You know I can't do that." He replied.

A small smile formed on his lips, one somber and tired. "Yeah, I do."

Clearing his throat and wiping his eyes, James continued. "I wish I could help, but unfortunately... politics are a thing."

Y/N remained silent, staring out into the rising sun.

"They're more concerned about Atlas' safety; they rallied the airships for a defensive line, not to mention the borders are already stuffed with Grimm from the news."

"You don't need to apologize." Y/N said, he knew James wasn't the best with emotion.

James' eyes dropped, his prosthetic hand clenched, threatening to slam through his desk. "I wish there was more that I could do..."

There was a pause, giving Y/N a moment to listen to the calm ocean waves and distant chants of angered faunus.

"I'll be here." Y/N said. "If no one else is going to fight, then I will."

James nodded in understanding and unspoken respect. "Good luck..."

Closing his scroll, Y/N released a short groan as he stood. No matter how much he wanted to lie down and sleep, he couldn't let this happen, not when he was right here.

He walked the eerily empty streets to stand at the center of Kuo Kuana; there, the people were gathered as the Chieftain spoke.

The crowd was massive and deathly silent with dread, but the distance and occasional whisper drowned out the far shouts of Ghira.

Sighing, Y/N ran to a nearby home and kicked off its wall to land on an adjacent roof. From there, he hopped from roof to roof until he got a clear view of everything.

Ghira's deep nervous shout was able to reach the faunus in the far back of the crowd, and Y/N's eyes were able to catch the panic in his eyes.

"The villages in the southeast region have been evacuated! Others are due to do the same today!"

He was met with a panicked and furious response. Understandably so, no one wanted to leave, and if they did, they would lose their livelihoods.

"And where will they go, Ghira?! You think Atlas or Vale will take us in?!"