Part 93

A soft kick to Y/N's boot jarred him awake, kickstarting his day with a racing heart.

"Come on," A familiar voice softly demanded. "We got work to do."

Rubbing his tired eyes, the Hunter squinted his eyes to see Sangria looking down on him with an outstretched hand.

The vivid memory of Glynda's touch came to mind, how real it felt as she held him with those words he craved to hear.

Holding a hand to his forehead, Y/N waited for the hallucination to end with a dejected sigh.

"What are you waiting for?" She asked, putting a little more authority in her voice. "We're burning daylight."

He watched her with a somber gaze as she bent low to pick up his revolver and wipe the dirt clean.

"Let's go." She whispered softly. "There's time for rest later."

Taking a deep breath, Y/N hesitantly reached out until her calloused hand gripped tightly around his.

"There you go." She groaned, shifting her entire body and pulling him up. "Wasn't so hard now, was it?"

Y/N shook his head with a barely audible reply. "No..."

"Here." She handed him his weapon. "Andre would have a fit if he saw this."

Pursing his lips, he nodded with a small laugh. "Y-yeah."

"Hey..." She hooked a finger under his chin and lifted his saddened gaze with a bright smile. "Chin up... it's a new day."

Taking a few deep breaths, Y/N was suddenly left alone with his revolver in hand.

Clicking it into his holster, he sighed and gave it a gentle pat before making his way back into town.

As he walked, he squared his shoulders and kept his head high. His previous experience as a leader shined through, making his image a pillar to the hundreds of eyes that gazed upon him.

He pushed whatever mishaps he endured far down into the pit of his stomach, forgetting them until the time was best.

Nearing the pier, he was met with a drove of smiles and sincere greetings.

A group of Rangers - just shy of twenty - patted his shoulder and gripped his hand in a firm shake.

"Man... I haven't seen you since you were just a kid!" One of the many Rangers said with a wave of chuckles, even earning a small smile from Y/N.

"Glad you could all make it." Y/N told them all, looking into each and every one of their eyes.

"We got nothing better to do." One said with a shrug, bouncing the rifle they had over their shoulders.

At the corner of his eyes, Y/N saw movement in Robyn's gunship.

"I'll see you later." Y/N muttered, earning a few nods of understanding.

Pushing through the overwhelming number of Hunters, Y/N was stopped again, this time by a very familiar face.

"Excuse me, sir!"

He stood frozen, his brows furrowed as she approached in a few long strides.

"Hey." She greeted with a wide smile. "I saw you from over there and just wanted to say how good it is to meet you."

Stunned and barely thinking, Y/N held his hand out, but the woman gripped the entirety of his forearm with hers.

"I'm Elm, Elm Ederne."

Quite literally shaken from his thoughts, Y/N cleared his throat and returned her warrior's handshake.

"Is... something wrong?" She asked, noticing his pause.