Part 58

"Gimme a minute."

Qrow nodded to Y/N's murmured words; he leaned against the wall near the doorway, not really expecting anything.

"That didn't take very long." Fria said, watching Y/N walk in with a troubled expression. "What's wrong?" She asked.

Seated to two paintings were Fria and Amber; the latter tried her best to focus on the canvas than the man at their side.

"You don't need to worry about it." Y/N softly replied. "I'd like to talk to Amber though."

With her brows raised, his mother turned to the Fall Maiden with a questioning gaze, leaving the decision up to her.

"Uhhh... yeah." Amber nodded. "Okay."

With a calm stride, Y/N led the woman out the door and past Qrow, who shrugged after a moment of curiosity.

After a short and tense walk, Amber was left with the open air to blow through her hair.

Sighing as he leaned on a nearby pillar, Y/N crossed his arms and fixed her with a neutral expression.

"How long have you been the Fall Maiden?" He asked in an even tone.

"Oh..." Amber pursed her lips and let her eyes wander in thought. "Almost... ten years now."

His brows furrowing just a pinch, Y/N continued. "And you have a good grasp on your magic."

"I'm alright, but not good enough for Ozpin to not worry about my well-being."

Ozpin. Of course.

It was all beginning to make sense. Y/N had this same pull when he discovered Laurence, the first vicar.

Cautiously trudging through the Hunter's Nightmare, Y/N tracked his prey with a tightening of his chest.

"Are we close?" Valtr asked in a whisper.

"Just up ahead... I feel him."

With each step they traversed through the eerie landscape, Y/N felt a tug from deep inside.

His thoughts clouded his mind, threatening to overcome his better judgment.

He wanted this source of power; he wanted to slaughter it and claim every last bit of its essence for himself.

Drawing Sovereign from his shoulder, Y/N noted Amber's widened eyes and hidden terror that melded with awe.

"Here." He said, holding the blade with the hilt empty. "Show me."

"Okay..."

Laying her hand on the textured handle, Amber wrapped all five fingers around its ancient metal with a visible shudder.

Y/N's frown softened as little bolts of yellow electricity harmlessly trailed over her hand.

She managed to control the passive security; however, utilizing its power would be another story when the runes remained darkened.

"You don't give yourself enough credit." Y/N said, surprising Amber. "It's impressive enough that you're able to hold it."

"Really?" She replied almost breathlessly. "I haven't really been practicing until just recently."

"Fria's been the one helping you, I'm guessing."

"Yeah." She said with a slight chuckle. "She knows a lot more about this stuff than me."

"Didn't look like you two were practicing just now."

"She likes to paint," Amber said, rocking on the heels of her shoes. "I don't mind giving her company since I'm one of the few she's allowed to see."