Part 92

Three days remained. The rumors of Y/N being in Kuo Kuana were solidified when his appearance spread across the world. His short response to Sienna was the final straw to most folk; they abandoned their jobs, disobeyed orders, and were reminded of their humanity.

They followed not under the banner of Atlas nor Vale; they followed under Y/N's inspiring words and willingness to lead anyone who came. The four kingdoms had little to no sway over their decisions as they came in like an overwhelming flood.

The gathered Hunters were easily quadrupled in numbers; there were so many that many had to spread out to nearby villages to avoid crowding the streets.

A fraction of those that came weren't Hunters; some were doctors and disaster relief volunteers, there to prepare for the wounded or the worst.

As Y/N remained at the pier, staring out into oblivion, a peculiar shriek in the sky caught his attention.

Taking Sovereign off his lap, he stood and attached it to his back. Narrowing his eyes and furrowing his brows, he caught a glimpse of a snow-white gunship lowering in the distance.

With the tip of his boot, he gently kicked a sleeping Qrow's shoe, waking him with a sigh.

"What's happenin'?" He mumbled with sleep riddled eyes.

Qrow caught a glimpse of Y/N's retreating form; it had him sighing as he stretched his loose muscles.

Shaking his head and rolling his shoulders, he followed closely with a groan.

The streets were nearly flooded with Hunters from all across Remnant; Y/N even paused for a moment as he saw a glimpse of a wide-brimmed hat in the mix of people.

Figuring he would deal with it later, he crossed the lengthy pier until he came upon an Atlesian gunship.

"Didn't expect them to be here," Qrow commented, raising a brow when blacked out droids came lumbering out the side. "You think they're here for you?"

There were two ways Qrow's question could go. Either one, the council finally caved and were willing to help. Or two, he was being court marshaled for disobeying a direct order, and he was going to be forced to return to Atlas. Y/N highly doubted both.

And it was neither; it relieved him when Harriet hopped off the ramp followed by Clover and Robyn.

But nothing else came when Harriet fixed him with a furious glare and began to march forward; no fear nor dread crossed his eyes.

His expression turned somber when she shoved him; his ears couldn't catch the long rant of hurt words she threw his way; even if he did, he wouldn't feel the sting of each syllable.

"Where have you been?!" She yelled, but his dead expression angered her further. "You don't call! You never answer your scroll! You just-you don't even bother to try?!"

"Hey," Qrow uttered softly, laying out a hand. "Come on."

Swatting his hand away, Harriet stared deep into Y/N's eyes to find nothing, not even a pinch of regret or remorse.

"Harriet!" Clover shouted. His heavy footfalls neared but did little to sway the furious woman. "That's enough!"

Harriet sighed, and her anger quickly deflated into pure sorrow; the state she saw Y/N in was worse than not seeing him at all.

In a slow-motion, she took a step forward and slipped her arms past his own where they curled, pulling him into a tight hug.

With her ear pressed firmly against his chest, she heard his beating heart, thumping and pulsing with life.