Part 90

A fire, crackling, and popping awoke the Maiden from her short slumber. She shot upright with her fingers gingerly touching her neck in a panic.

"Calm down."

A deep and tired voice met her ears; it came across the fire, belonging to him, her target.

Gritting her teeth and jumping up, she was left frozen, confused.

"You can't do anything here... no magic, no semblance."

She tried in vain to summon her powers, but the most she got was empty furious gestures.

This went on for some time; when her magic didn't work, she relied on her semblance, trying to superheat glass kept in vials attached to the waist of her dress.

Nothing, not even the dust weaved into her clothes responded; she was left entirely at his mercy.

In a last-ditch effort to get her way, she whipped around and ran. Almost immediately as she stepped foot into the jungle behind her, she emerged from the thick greenery to remain exactly where she stood.

She was confused; it was written all over her face, she couldn't fight when her body didn't respond to her commands, and she couldn't run when she was imprisoned at his side.

After a few more attempts at running, she was left glaring at the seated man.

"Relax." He said with a calm voice and a deep sigh. "I just want to talk."

She stared for a moment; in that time, her ragged breaths slowed with a finalized huff of reluctant agreement.

Sitting on a similar log as his, she stared daggers into those golden eyes behind floating cinders.

"Your name, what is it?"

His voice was demanding and straight to the point, considering he had her trapped with supposedly an unknown semblance; she bit her tongue and bided her time.

"Alright..." He sighed.

He rose from his seat, nearly causing her to retaliate as he approached.

The Maiden flinched as she hit the ground; she whipped her head around with squinted eyes when the moon was gone, replaced with the bright sun.

"If you won't tell me, I'll just have to dig around and find out."

He read her body language; he knew he hit somewhere deep when her furrowed brows quickly faded at the sight of a barn before them.

She hesitated to join him when he walked away, directly to the barn riddled with children.

Rowdy. That's the word Y/N would use to describe the youth he brushed past; they were rough and unsympathetic with others; he even spotted segregation with a few faunus mingling far away from the others.

He searched through loud-mouthed brats and quiet children to find her. She sat in the corner, away from everyone else and shying away from their hostile eyes.

Y/N sighed at the sorry state of her being. She was young and far too skinny for her age, with sunken cheeks and an overall frail appearance.

The Maiden, whoever she may be, was far more calm and docile, but it didn't mean she was over it all.

The anger was still there, simmering and aged. She didn't direct it toward him; no, she pointed such a lethal force to herself.

Once upon a time, Y/N found himself in her position, alone in an orphanage, fighting other kids who thought they had the right to go and stir trouble. Long before he even thought of killing a man in broad daylight and feeling nothing the very next day.