Part 129

Y/N was still, his mind racing with possibilities, thoughts, and worries.

Glynda was doing no better as she desperately clutched to his hand. "Y/N, please. You have to leave this place."

"And go where?" He asked softly.

"Beacon." She whispered. "I can take care of you there, that way we won't have to worry about these-assassins."

He sighed quietly, doubting the capabilities of a few retired Hunters and a small army of kids. If they followed him there, the staff wouldn't fair any better than himself.

"I don't know if they would handle it any better." He told her. "We don't even know who we're dealing with, Glyn, there could be more out there, maybe even more dangerous than who I ran into."

"Then Atlas, the General can-" She stopped short when he averted his gaze, disheartened when he shook his head.

"There's so many things we don't know," His then began turning urgent and less soft. "They may not even know about you, my mom. If I go to Atlas I could very well be leading them to three of the four Maidens."

"Then I'll stay here." She told him sternly, her brows furrowed.

"No." He replied near instantly. "You heard what she said, she had to leave her entire life behind because of them. I-don't want to do that."

"What-" She frowned with a reserved yet angry exterior. "Do you want me to just-leave you? Here??"

"No, of course not..." He sighed, his eyes heavy with worry and affection. "I want you to understand."

He returned the tight hold on his hand, even when it grew uncomfortable on his forearm.

"The best place for me is here, they already know I'll be stuck here for the time being, so-you don't have to worry about a thing."

That simmering rage deep within her began to calm, turning into a quiet whisper.

"They nearly killed you..."

He gave a small series of nods. "I know... I know."

Glynda sniffled as she quickly wiped her teary eyes. Wary with the future, and could he blame her?

Every avenue of thought lead to the exact same place, with bloodshed. There was no negotiations, pleads, or change in philosophy. If he was going to have a chance at life, freedom, then he would have to kill for it.

________________________________

A local tavern was bustling with business. Even when the majority of visiting Hunters had departed, the locals celebrated their month old victory, cheering and dancing.

The noise was almost overwhelming to Raven, but it was really her fault for her paranoia. She choice this place for the first day lunch and she had to stick to it. Anything to avoid unwanted attention.

She sat to enjoy a late lunch. Her crimson irises were focused on her meal even when they were veiled with exhaustion.

She couldn't get it out of her head, the terrible image of charred and mutilated bodies. But most of her nightmare filled nights were of him, a once love that haunted her with those furious gold eyes.

Raven ran on autopilot, finishing up her meal and paying for it, all the while avoiding any eye contact within her secluded corner. Her sheathed blade beside her scared off anyone looking for conversation. All but one.

Y/N released a deep sigh as his palms wiped over his face. He was wrought with worry and anxiety, it went as far as squeezing his chest, making each take of air breathless.