Part 75

Trees. Pine and the occasional cedar rustled in the wind; their needles and branches were almost untouched, making them grow to an oceanic magnitude.

Their deep, tangy, and woody smell filled Y/N's nostrils. It was rich and plentiful without a pinch of the outside world.

Snow packed and crunched under his shoes as he walked; it was fine with the beautiful architecture to make art or a cheery snowman.

"What are we doing here?" A weak voice asked in a murmur. "Hoping to burry me?"

Y/N couldn't smile at Sable's dark quip, not now in her current condition.

She was hanging by a thread; her aura was teetering on breaking as her body flashed an occasional black.

Ignoring her casual demeanor, he pushed her wheelchair deeper into the forest with relative ease.

The tiniest bits of white fell from the sky accompanied by the tweet of a bird or the shuffle of a squirrel.

Small wildlife watched the two with weary eyes. They sniffed the air to find their abundance of clothing and metal strapped to the man's back.

The crackle of the ground kept them from approaching, not to mention the pair of eyes both individuals sported.

They could see an old cabin in a nearby clearing where the trees didn't blot out the sun. Dilapidated and returned to nature.

Y/N couldn't see her, but he heard the smallest gasp escape her lips.

"I called in a few favors, and..." Y/N said softly as he set her chair before the ruined home. "We managed to find this."

Sable was speechless. But her actions spoke louder than words. One eye began to water under the hood of her jacket, and a muffled sob met the thick scarf over her mouth.

She made it very clear to Y/N, even at day one, that when she passes, she will stare down death with an unflinching gaze.

She didn't want to go while in the comfort of a bed, hooked up to who knows how many machines. She didn't want to be haunted by her past, seeing the faces of those she had killed while tasting iron in her mouth.

She was going to die happy, delighted, and at peace.

Happy to be given such kindness by a man she would have killed without a second thought. To find the home that she was ripped away from. And most of all, to be absolved of her anguish.

Delighted to have taught the hand that would crush his enemies, slay entire armies of Grimm, and finally put an end to a thousand-year war by killing the wicked witch that had wronged her.

She was at peace as her one, and only friend held her hand and lowered his head to hide his growing sadness.

As the minutes passed, as they listened to the movement of surrounding trees, Sable grew lightheaded and dizzy within her chair.

Her eyes began to lose focus as her heart suddenly ceased to beat, and her gloved hand became limp.

Taking a series of deep breaths with a sniffle, Y/N peaked at the woman to see her eyes shut and shoulders relaxed.

Attempting to swallow a lump in his throat, he gave her a curt nod and gave her hand one last squeeze.

After a moment of silence and a draw of his weapon, Y/N stared down at a patch of disturbed soil with a solemn gaze.

"Thank you..." He uttered near a whisper as trails of moisture on his cheek began to freeze.

Leaving his friend at rest, he left behind the thought of her power passing on. What resurfaced in its place was now his sitting and aging anger.