Part 14

It was another day in Solus, one of hard work and Rangers coming and going. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Until the bar doors swung open, and in came a stranger. Monroe eyed them from underneath his hat, watching as they approached the barmaid.

They looked like an average Vacuoan citizen, a man possibly a couple decades younger than himself wore a large duster, could be heard through Monroe's hat passed all the white noise.

"Scuse' me, ma'am." He held out a small paper to the barmaid. "Looking for someone, wondering if you saw em'."

As stoic as usual, the barmaid merely directed him to a quiet corner of the bar, right where Monroe sat. "That's Monroe's business, not mine."

The stranger grumbled before walking the short set of stairs. Monroe squinted to see and notice an absence of spurs on his boots, shoes that were far too polished for his liking.

"You're a long way from home, stranger." Monroe greeted, the unknown man stopped dead in his tracks with a momentary pause.

Pinching his cigarette between his finger and thumb, Monroe tapped its excess ash into a tray. He rolled his tongue and spat a bit of tobacco from his mouth while inspecting his guest.

"What brings you out this way?" The old Ranger asked, causing the tensed man to relax.

"Looking for someone." He held a small photo out to Monroe. "You seen em'?"

With a slight tilt of his head, Monroe quickly noticed an aged photo of Solus.

"Yeah." He took a drag from his cigarette. "He's gone."

"Really??" The stranger sounded disappointed; he then sighed once he saw a raise of eyebrows from Monroe.

"How much was he worth?" Monroe asked; he took a sip from a canteen while the stranger spoke.

"Biggest pot I've ever seen. Five hundred thousand for the head alone and a million alive."

Monroe hummed with a shake of his head. "Shame."

"Yeah." The man scoffed. "You're telling me."

"Say..." Monroe lazily waved to the wall. "there's a fellow next door that could help, could introduce you two."

"Ohh, mister." The man grinned. "That would be mighty fine."

The old Ranger grunted; he burnt out his cigarette and stood. The stranger was eager as he walked ahead at a faster pace.

Standing at the bar's entrance, Monroe remained deathly still for a moment; his ears picked up the ticking clock just inside and the hushed voices within.

"Hey!" The stranger beckoned to Monroe from across the street. "What's the holdup?!"

"My mistake..." Monroe eyed the stranger from underneath his hat. His pancho moved with his arms shifting underneath. "Seemed to have forgotten to pay my bill."

The stranger scoffed. "Well, hurry on then! This is a once in a lifetime-"

Faster than he could react, six loud booms echoed through the air, and the stranger dropped to the dirt, dead. It was near a blink of an eye that Monroe drew his revolver and fanned its hammer.

The tip of his barrel smoked while other Rangers came running. They arrived just in time to see their leader eject a handful of shells from his gun, twirl it in his hand, and holster it.

Monroe pushed his pancho back in place; its decorated clothe hid his silver gun and old leather holster underneath.

Approaching the dead man, Monroe kneeled with a quiet groan to push the stranger's duster open, revealing an armored vest with six center mass holes dug straight into his body.