Part 59

Just outside Ivy's shop, Y/N let his shoulders slump; he felt reenergized and accomplished.

Just like the good old days?

Huffing to himself, he rung his sleeves with a hooked finger and fixed the rest of his outfit to his satisfaction.

"Y/N!"

Taking a step forward with a sigh, he sucked air through his teeth in mild reluctance.

Running down the street was Maya; she wore her outfit without her coat, showing just how rushed she was at the moment.

Coming to a panting stop, she gave him an urgent glare that remained steady in her cobalt eyes.

"We need to talk."

Only nodding in return, Y/N followed her back to her lab. He didn't have a fraction of silence when the door shut and locked behind him.

"I have been working on this throughout the night, checking then double-checking."

Brushing past Y/N, she stood before his diagram with a deep frown of thought.

"After triple checking, it still has me-reeling."

Staring and taking in a mountain of information Y/N didn't know of, he waited then listened as the doctor continued.

"Your blood isn't like anything I've ever seen before. The closest thing I can compare it to is a disease, burrowing into anything it touches."

Sighing deeply through his nose, Y/N's lip twitched as he nodded. "What... what does that mean for me?"

"You." Maya crossed her arms with downcast eyes. "It's hard to say for sure. You're completely fine, the healthiest patient I've ever examined. But your blood... the effect it had when I introduced it to damaged and dead cells is-baffling."

Wiping her eyes, Maya cleared her throat with a flick of her canine ears. "It remained untouched, not a single interaction let alone reaction, which doesn't make sense!"

Stepping up to the board, she lifted a few pages and continued. "I then put a sample of my blood on the plate; it immediately got to work breaking down the cell walls and taking the blood altogether."

Dropping the written data, the doctor pointed to another stack of hung papers. "I then added a bit of everything, poison, fire, diseases; you name it, it was there. The only notable effect was how-stubborn it was; it just didn't want to die."

Taking a seat with a huff, she mindlessly scratched behind her ear with a sigh. "That's where it got interesting. Your blood seemed to work to a certain capacity before giving out; I wondered why until I added more of my own."

She snapped her fingers with her eyes drifting to Y/N. "It took it like sustenance then got straight to work."

"So the idea of using it as a cure is gone."

"That's right." Maya nodded. "It's more likely your blood would heal the body, then outright kill its host... unfortunately, that's where it ends."

His brows furrowed with widened eyes, Y/N hissed. "What?"

Maya nodded. "That's right. Your regenerative capabilities are only triggered with blood and a primal need to survive. According to these reports-you only had water for a few days."

Getting no reply in return, Maya spoke with enthusiasm in an attempt to counter his deep thought. "This could very well be your semblance! We're all different-"

"It's not."

Deflating with a puzzled frown, Maya's ears folded back. "What do you mean?"

"You still have the blood." Y/N got a hesitant nod in return. "Add more of your own; then you'll have your answers..."