Chapter 59

Matt's POV: Once we finished feeding the kids (and packing up), I sighed as I spoke to Boden in his office. I just felt horrible I was leaving him in this position but, Gabby is right that this isn't the right move for us. I can see what this is doing to her. It's tearing her up that she wants to let me live my dream while also risking our dream life together. Gabby is the love of my life and I can't put our marriage at risk again. And we are expecting another child. I think it's time I leave my CFD Firehouse Career in the past and just concentrate on my family. God, I hope Boden gets it.

"Chief, I am really sorry that I am putting you in this position." Chief nodded when I said that. "I get it Matt." I just sighed. "Chief, I know I am putting you in a bind but...I just can't do this to Gabby. She almost died last time around while she was pregnant. Gabby needs an easy pregnancy..and she needs her husband to be safe. Sure, I would be outside and I wouldn't be inside the fires but...Gabby just isn't in a place where she can be okay with this. She needs me at home with her." Boden nodded and agreed with me. "This event is pretty hard on her isn't it?"

I sighed and agreed with him. "Boden, I haven't seen her this way in a long time. I am scared and I am worried we are going to have a miscarriage if we stay." Boden got scared when I said that because he knew that was not a good thing. "I understand Matt. I am so sorry that this didn't work out for you. Maybe in the future?" I shook my head. "Honestly chief, I think I am done at the firehouse. Me and Gabby are going to have 5 kids. Sure, Hermann can do it...but I can't do it to my kids. I need to be there for them on a daily basis. I can't be a firefighter anymore."

Boden agreed with me when I said that. "I know it takes a lot for you to say that." I sighed and just agreed with him. "Can you tell the Commissioner I am sorry?" Boden shook his head. "Matt, you have nothing to be sorry about. You need to do what you think is right for your family." I nodded and agreed with him before tearing up. This was the first time I have really cried today and it's scary. "I am just scared out of my mind. Boden, my kids are here and at risk." Boden just nodded when I said that before getting up and sitting down next to me, rubbing my back.

"Matt, it takes a lot to admit when this is not the right thing for you to do." I nodded and just sighed when he said that. "But just think about this Matt, you are going to have another baby. And honestly, the paperwork hasn't even gone through yet. You were just acting as Battalion Chief today." I laughed when he said that before turning my head to look at him. "God, I am just so scared. Heck, I haven't really been thinking about the guys today." Boden shook his head. "Hey, don't you dare think that way. You thought as a leader today Matt, you did...I promise."

I nodded and agreed with him when he said that. "Boden, I want to thank you so much for this opportunity but...I am going to get going. I need to go home and just relax in bed with Gabby. We need to hold each other close and just be safe. She is scared out of her mind." Boden nodded and agreed with me when I said that. Going to get up, I went to hug him and just smiled. "It has been an honor serving under you. Can you talk to everybody for me?" That's when I heard Severide at the door. "Gabby just told me. What she say true man?" I turned to look at him.

Sighing, I agreed. "Yeah, this event has broken me. I can't do this. I can't put my life at risk for the kids. I need to be a husband and dad instead. Chief, maybe you can put Severide up instead." Severide laughed as he came to hug me. "Oh, the COVID protocols stay in place. That is something you need to do for me Boden." Boden smiled and agreed. "Of course Matt, I promise that will stay. Now, you guys get out of here and just go be alone at home." Nodding, I went to walk out when I saw Gabby there with our things. "Thanks for the opportunity Boden."

Boden nodded and agreed with Gabby. "Congrats again to you both. And don't be strangers." I agreed with him and smiled at Gabby. "I promise." I then went to kiss Gabby's forehead and just held her close to me. "You ready to go home and relax?" Gabby nodded. "We are going to have alone time okay? We need it after this. Antonio is going to stay overnight too. Matt, we need to take time together and forget all about this day." I nodded and agreed with her when she said that. "Can we celebrate the pregnancy? I am sorry we rushed this. Should've taken a day."

Gabby shook her head. "It's fine Matt. Let's go home, relax and just be together okay?" I smiled and agreed with Gabby when she said that. Wrapping my arm around her, I went to kiss her softly and just smiled as I took it slow with her. "I am going to find a new job in the new year okay? Oh Boden, can you do me a favor and just put me back on paternity until I get a new job?" Boden nodded when I said that. "Of course Matt, you deserve it." I smiled and agreed with him. "Thanks Chief. Talk another time. Let's get you home okay Gabby?" Gabby smiled and agreed.

NOTE TO READERS: I know that all of this was out of the blue but...I have decided that I don't want Matt working at the CFD anymore. I needed a storyline to achieve that. Trust me, the story might not make (as much) sense right now, but it will get better. I promise. But effective immediately, Matt is done at the CFD....time to find him a new job. Send me your ideas.