Chapter 17

"Gabby, when you hear the word home...do you think of Chicago or San Juan?" -Matt Casey

Gabby's POV: When Matt asked me that question, I just got really scared because I knew that my answer could change our entire life. I really had to think about that. Moving to lay back down in bed, I just looked at Matt and he pretty much knew that meant I wanted him to lay down with me. I just needed a minute before I answered that question. This was not a question that I could answer just off the top of my head. Matt needed to hold me and he needed to know I need him to come with me if we decide to do this. I can live anywhere in the world...just not without him.

"Can you just lay down next to me Matt?" Matt nodded when I asked him that before going to lay down on his side of the bed. Tugging the covers up on top me, I then proceeded to grab Matt's hand and watched as he tugged the covers up his body. Taking a breath, I just looked at him and sighed. "Matt, I need a reassurance from you that you mean it when you say that we are forever. Matt, I need a reassurance that you..." Matt then went to stop me. "Hey, stop that. Gabby,  you already know that I made the biggest mistake of my life not going with you to Puerto Rico."

I nodded and agreed with him. "Matt, my answer is complicated." Going to bring his hand to my lips, I went to kiss his wedding band. "When I think of our home...I think about where my husband and kids live. I don't think about a building. Matt, I love you and I want to be with you." Matt nodded when I said that. "But, here in Chicago...I still have those bad memories. Those fights we had, us losing our first baby, us almost losing each other multiple times. Those are not just bad memories for me now, they are fears of stuff that can really happen...because they did."

Matt nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "And then I think of Puerto Rico...and all the stuff I experienced there. The good memories I have there...they are amazing memories. And sometimes, when I think back...I dream that you were there with me. And now, that the kids were there with us." Matt nodded when I said that, just listening to my every word. "Matt, Chicago will always have a special place in my heart. It's where we met, where we fell in love, where our kids were conceived, where I gave birth to our kids..." Matt nodded and smiled.

"But, when I think of where I was happiest...it was when I was volunteering in Puerto Rico. Matt, I can't explain the feelings I had there. Sure, I tried to explain it in my letters and e-mails to you...over the phone and video chat. I tried my best to explain it...but it's more than that. Matt, when I was down there...I felt like I found my purpose in life again." Matt stared at me when I said that and just bit his lip. "Matt, you know I hate saying this right? For me to say this...it also means that I didn't feel like I had a reason to be here before I left. That's not true baby...I did. YOU!"

Matt nodded when I said that. Rolling over, he grabbed my neck and then kissed me softly. "And I try my very best to think that you are enough babe...because you should be. You are my husband, the love my life, the father of our children and I can't live life without you. In my mind, that should be more than enough to stay here in Chicago." Rolling over onto my side, I needed to look at Matt when I told him the next part. Getting close to me, Matt wrapped his arms around me. "And Matt, it pains me to say that it isn't anymore." Matt nodded when I said that.

I then went to tear up a bit and just went to hold him tight. "But Matt, I can't lose you again. And I promise that I can try and be..." Matt then stopped me. "No, I am not going to force you to TRY and be happy here. That is not what a husband does. I told you this before...a husband moves heaven and earth to make sure his wife is happy. The most important word there is MOVES. Gabby, I don't want to hold you back this time. I need you to tell me the truth right now....where is OUR home? Where are WE going to raise OUR family? I am letting YOU make this choice for us."

Looking up at Matt, I knew that this was a big decision. "Matt, you need to promise me that you are not going to be mad at me if I make this decision for us. That was something that led to us divorcing. By letting me do this...you are abdicating any right you have to be mad at me for this." Matt laughed and agreed with me. "Well then let me make the decision...Gabby, let's move to Puerto Rico. Let's start fresh. Sure, would I be happy here with you and the kids? OF COURSE I would. But, this is where I made a mistake last time around." I just went to listen.

"As your husband, I never want to see you suffer. And knowing that you are suffering here again...that breaks my heart. Gabby, that is unacceptable and I am so sorry that you have felt this way." Leaning over me, Matt looked down into my eyes and then started to kiss me softly.

Matt's POV: Putting my hand on the top of her head as I climbed on top of Gabby, I bent down and then started to kiss her slowly

Matt's POV:
Putting my hand on the top of her head as I climbed on top of Gabby, I bent down and then started to kiss her slowly. "Gabby, I am here to tell you that you don't need to feel this way anymore. Gabby, my job in life is to make sure that you are happy...that our family is happy. You are the love of my life, and I made this mistake last time around. Gabby, I am going to ask you this and we are going to agree that this decision has been made by the both of us." Gabby nodded. "Gabby, are we moving to Puerto Rico?" Gabby smiled when I asked her that. "Yes."

I smiled when she said that. Bending down, I started to take it slow with her as we started to celebrate the fact that we are going to be moving to Puerto Rico with our family.