Chapter 53

Matt's POV: After sneaking into the firehouse (everybody was currently in the briefing room), I smiled as I quickly set up my laptop in the office while also helping Gabby set up the kids in our bedroom here. Looking at me, Gabby sighed as I set our bags down on the bed. "Matt, you need to get to work." I nodded and agreed with her before going to kiss her softly. "Then listen, just relax and I will be back to help. Gabby, I want to set this up how I like it too. Remember, this is my bedroom too." Gabby nodded when I said that and just smiled at me. "Yes. I promise okay? I am just going to set up the cribs as well as the baby stuff. Baby please, just go get to work." I nodded and agreed with her when she said that. "Good luck kiss?" Gabby laughed and smiled.

Getting up from the bed, Gabby got up and then walked over to me. Wrapping her arms around my head, Gabby went to kiss me while I wrapped my arms around her waist. "I love you and I will see you soon. Go be the best Chief that the city has ever seen." I nodded and agreed with her, quickly squeezing her butt before kissing her one last time. Once that was done, I walked over to the kids and bent down to kiss their cheeks. "Daddy will be back soon okay?" I then smiled at them all. "You relax okay? Don't push it because you know..." Gabby nodded and remembered that. "I know, I will just unpack. I got it Matt, you need to work." I agreed with her and smiled. "I will be back soon okay? I promise." Gabby smiled and agreed with me.

Going to walk out of our room, I smiled as I went to grab my notepad before walking out. Closing the door behind me, I smiled as I prepared to go talk to the guys. This was such an exciting day for me and I definitely was ready for it. Sure, I was still learning and I would have to learn on the fly but...this is my destiny. This is what I am supposed to do...you could call it my destiny. Taking a deep breath, I proceeded to walk through the admin office and towards the Briefing Room. God, why am I nervous when this is our friends. You know what, you are just going to do it. Going to walk over to the door, quietly...I smiled as I prepared to surprise all of our friends with the news that I am starting once again. Going to walk up to the door, I went to go start our plan.

Opening the door, I just looked at Boden. "Excuse me but, isn't the briefing supposed to be led by the Battalion Chief?" Everybody then turned their heads towards me when they heard my voice and smiled. "Matt!" I just smiled at them all and Boden walked over to me. "Of course Chief." I nodded and agreed with him before going to shake his hand. "Okay, now everybody sit down. I first want to say thank you to Chief Boden for being such a great Chief over all these years. I am so proud to be following in your footsteps." Boden nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "Take the floor Matt." I nodded and agreed with him before going to stand at the front of the room. Looking out at my friends, I smiled. "Okay, before you ask...yes, you get to see our kids."

Everybody laughed and agreed with me when i said that, obviously very excited by the news. I sure was glad that the kids were here because I would have missed them. "Now, to start. First, I want to say congratulations to our new Squad Captain...Kelly Severide!" Kelly smiled when I said that. "And I also want to say a congratulations to my replacement on Truck 81...Lieutenant Stella Kidd!" She laughed and smiled when I said that. "Now, down to the important stuff. Just let me get this all out. I will take questions in a minute. Boden, I am chief now so you don't get to say anything about how I run my Battalion." He laughed and agreed with me. "Go ahead Matt." I nodded. "Okay. First things first...did everybody bring their electronics or laptops?"

Everybody nodded and agreed. "Effectively immediately all reports will be done over eMail. If I can get out of here faster...I am going to do that. Captain Severide, Lieutenants Hermann and Kidd, you are in charge of reports for the house. You shall provide me with a group summary of reports. Sorry but, I have many houses to take care of now." Everybody nodded and agreed with me. "Next, COVID Protocols. If you are here on site, you are wearing a mask. That is not debatable since my kids are going to be here every shift. There will be a $50 fine for every infraction of you being maskless inside the firehouse." Boden just looked at me when I said that. I then went to look up at him. "Boden, I have my kids and Gabby here." He then agreed with me.

"Next. You do not disturb Gabby and the kids in our room. If they are in there, they might be sleeping. You wake up my quads, you do not sleep at night." Everybody gulped when I said that. "Effective immediately, all staff here at the 25th Battalion are to submit to biweekly testing. Paramedics are to submit to weekly testing."  Everybody was shocked when I said that. "Okay, that's new." I looked up at Severide when he said that. "I live with my mother-in-law. I kill her with COVID, and I have a death wish from both my wife and my police officer brother-in-law." Everybody agreed with me when I said that. Boden then laughed and smiled at me. "Okay, now I am going to open the floor to questions. That is how I am going to do briefings now. Q&A Style."

Everybody nodded and agreed with me. "However, in here...all questions MUST be related to the operations of the firehouse. Personal questions will be taken when not on call. That reminds me. Effective immediately, there are only to be 2 people in the showers and 3 people in the washroom at any given time. Likewise, I am limiting the common room to a 50% capacity. Effectively immediately, I will ask that half of the staff please relax in here." Everybody groaned when I said that. I then turned to look at Boden to look for backup and he did just that. "Enough!" Everybody turned to look at him when he said that. "Matt is your Battalion Chief. You are to follow his orders and if this is what he wants for health and safety...then you are to do so!"

Once he said that, I smiled as I went to open the floor for Q&A. "Okay, now that I am done with my new rules...subject to change and added upon, I am going to open the floor to questions." I then proceeded to take questions from Firehouse 51 for the next 30 minutes.