Chapter 54

Matt's POV: After spending the past 30 minutes taking questions from the Firehouse, I smiled as I prepared to go check on how Gabby was doing in our bedroom. However, before I could do that...I felt Severide next to me. "Why didn't you tell me it was your first day today?" I laughed when he asked me that. "Wanted to surprise you Captain." Severide smiled and agreed with me when I said that. "Promise me that you aren't going to let the power go to your head." I laughed and smiled at him. "No promises. But listen, I need to go check on Gabby and the kids." Severide smiled when I said that. "You sure that uncle Severide can't come and say hi?" I shook my head.

"Nope." Going to slap his back, I smiled as I went to go walk towards my office. That's when I saw Chief Boden. "Hey Chief." Chief smiled at me. "You did good in your first meeting Matt." I smiled and agreed with him. "Thanks Chief, I am so glad that you let me start early." Chief smiled and agreed with me when I said that. "It's no problem Matt. You needed it." I smiled and agreed with him. "How are you feeling right now? This must be a lot." I nodded and agreed with him. "I am really excited honestly. But listen, right now...I need to go check on Gabby. I think some of the kids might need to be fed. Can you get the Battalion Chief keys for me?" Chief agreed, smiling.

"I already gassed it up. Want me to ask the other Captains from your other houses to come here?" I bit my lip when he asked me that. "Can you tell them that I am going to call them for a video chat at some point today? I know, crazy day. I am going to try and do as much as I can. I just need to get Gabby set up right now." Boden nodded and smiled when I said that. "By the way." Boden then turned to check nobody was here and then came to hug me. "Congratulations." I nodded and smiled as I went to hug him. "Thanks Chief. Remember, nobody else other than you. I haven't even told Severide yet." Chief nodded and agreed with me.

"Listen, can you set up a call between you, me, Captain Riley, Captain Delaney and Captain Murphy at some point today? You can let Grissom in here, he is the exception. I would like to exclude the public for a while." Chief agreed with me when I said that. "Of course Chief." I then took a breath. "Sorry I am dictating...I know you are above me but..." Chief just shook his head. "Matt, take a breath and relax. I am on your territory right now. Now, go see Gabby before we have a call." I agreed with him and smiled when he said that. "Oh, can you order fabric masks for everybody? I see they mostly have paper masks. Not the best for firefighters." He agreed.

Going to smile at him, I then proceeded to make my way into my office so that I could check on Gabby and the kids. Walking in, I saw that Gabby already put my laptop on my desk. Going to grab it, I smiled as I went to go unpack it so that I could set it all up. Taking it out of my bag, I then went to go get the charging dock out so that I could set it up. I then went to plug it in and just smiled while going to find the HDMI for the external monitor. Once I found it, I went to plug it into my laptop before moving my bag away from my chair. While I Knew that I had to go into the room, I was sure that Gabby might be resting for a minute. Might as well just set this up.

Going to grab my wireless mouse, I turned it on when I had everything set up. Once that was done, I went to go log in and just smiled because this was easier than I had originally expected. Seems like I am better at technology than I had originally expected. Going to open my eMail, I smiled as I also went to log in to everything I needed to be Battalion Chief. Most important, the reports software as well as the call logs. Going to move my eMail to my second monitor, I smiled as I went to refresh it. I was going to read it afterwards. Right now, I wanted to go see my family. Getting up once I was all set up, I smiled as I went to go make my way into my bedroom.

Grabbing my phone, I turned around and smiled as I went to go walk into the bedroom. Closing the door behind me, I smiled when I heard Gabby in the washroom. However, it wasn't for the best reason. Just great, it's going to be like the last pregnancy...when she was sick for a long time. Going to walk into the bathroom, I sighed and looked at her. "When did you start?" Gabby groaned when I asked her that. "I just started." I nodded and agreed with her before going to rub her back. "You know that I am going to be here for you right? Whatever you need, you can just call for me to come in here." Gabby nodded and agreed with me as she went to sit down.

Seeing that she was crying, I was a little concerned. "Hey, what's wrong?" Gabby bit her lip when I asked her that. "What if you are on a call when I have to do this?" I sighed when she asked me that. "Then you take a breath and do it. Gabby, you can do this. Sure, I am here but babe...you did it with quadruplets last time around." Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that. Going to sit down next to her, I went to wrap my arm around her before going to kiss the side of her head. "I am going to be in here as much as I can okay?" Gabby turned to look at me when I said that. "Matt, you are..." I just looked at her. "Your husband first. Anyways, it's my fault..." Gabby turned to look at me when I said that. "What do you mean it's your fault baby?"

I smiled at her when she asked me that. "Gabby, I am the one who got you pregnant. That is the reason all this is happening." Gabby nodded and agreed with me before going to lay her head down on my shoulder. "I am so glad that you are here from the start. You know that right?" I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she said that. "Of course I know that Gabby because I feel the same way." Gabby just smiled and agreed with me when I said that. Going to grab my hand, Gabby intertwined our fingers and then went to kiss my hand. "How long do you have in here?" I smiled when Gabby asked me that. "I am not sure. Let's at least get you comfortable. You done?" Gabby nodded and agreed with me. Going to put my hand out, I smiled at Gabby to help her up.

Getting up, Gabby smiled at me before watching as I led her towards our bedroom. She needed to rest and I was (hoping) to sit down with her for a minute. "Listen, can you get me your shift list?" I looked at Gabby when she said that. "Why?" Gabby sighed when I asked her that. "I am going to call Dr. Gallader to set up some appointments. I know I don't have an aneurysm anymore but..." I just nodded and agreed with her as I led her to our bed. "You trust her and want to go back to her." Gabby smiled and agreed with me when I said that. Going to open the covers, I smiled as I went to help her into bed. Going to sit down next to her, I smiled.

Gabby then went to grab my hand and just looked into my eyes. Leaning in, I went to go kiss her softly when I heard the bells go off. "Truck 81, Engine 51, Squad 3, Ambo 61. Structure Fire..."

"Seriously? Now!" Gabby just laughed when I said that. Going to tug my lips against hers, she smiled at me. "Be safe and come tell me all about it when you are back." Giving her a quick kiss, I smiled at her before going to rush out so that I could go to my first fire as Battalion Chief. That's when Boden caught up to me. "Boden, I am riding with you today. You're driving." Boden nodded and agreed with me as we went to walk down the halls together so that I could make my way to my first fire as battalion chief. "Sounds good, that way you can concentrate on work."

I nodded and agreed with him as we both got ready to go to my first scene as a Battalion Chief.