Chapter 30

Matt's POV: Once me and Gabby finished having breakfast, I smiled as I watched her come back to bed after bringing our plates downstairs. Putting my hand out, I was motioning for her to come closer to me. I wanted to cuddle up to my girl in bed and I hoped that she would be more than willing to do the same with me. Just looking at me, Gabby smiled as she came to get back in bed with me before going to take off her shirt. Seeing the sexy lingerie, I smiled as she laid her head down on my chest and then cuddled up to me. "God, you are a comfortable pillow."

I smiled when Gabby said that before going to kiss her forehead softly. "I love you." Gabby nodded and smiled when I said that. "But listen, about what you said about going back...." Gabby sighed when I said that. "You don't think it's a good idea?" I tried to stay calm and just bit my lip before nodding. "Gabby, I love you...you know that right?" Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I asked her that. "Gabby, if you are working at Firehouse 51....I am always going to be worried and want to be there. And with my new job, that isn't always possible now."

Gabby nodded and agreed with me. "Plus, as much as I want to let you work...and believe me, I do. I just think for a little while...it'd be best if I am the only one working to start. Gabby, it's already going to be hard with one of us being exposed to COVID on a daily basis." Gabby agreed with me. "Oh, we are both being exposed. Babe, you do realize that I am coming to shift with you right?" I looked down at her when she said that before going to kiss her forehead softly. "So, that is not changing. I am going to need your help with the kids. And you can help at the firehouse."

I nodded and smiled at her. "Oh, you bringing the kids to shift was mandatory. Babe, I love the kids and I would have missed them like crazy if you didn't come to shift with me. You being there with me is mandatory." Gabby laughed and agreed with me when I said that. Running her hand up my chest, Gabby started to kiss me and just smiled at me. "Plus, I am going to want to see you come back to the firehouse safe after every call." I looked at her when she said that and knew that was really what she was worried about...me not being safe. I sighed and kissed her softly.

Moving my hand to Gabby's, I stroke it with my thumb and just ran my hand up and down her back while we took it slow with each other. "Gabby, you have nothing to worry about when it comes to me being safe. I am not going to be going into fires anymore as Chief. Instead, I am going to be working them from the outside." Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that. Kissing her head, I just sighed because I could feel how scared Gabby was. "Gabby, talk to me. What are your fears right now?" Gabby sighed as she looked at the kids. "Loosing their dad."

I agreed with her when she said that before going to kiss her forehead to try and calm her down. "Gabby, I am right here and I am not going anywhere...I promise okay? I am here and I am safe. I am always going to be safe. Gabby, you don't think I want to come home to you and the kids?" Gabby looked up at me when I said that. Moving to run my fingers through her hair, I smiled at her and then went to tug a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Babe, you are the love of my life and the kids are our world...." Going to wrap my arms around her, I just smiled and kissed her.

"...Gabby, I promise you that I am going to be safe and that I am going to come back to you. I am going to come back to you after every shift. Gabby, you are my world, the love of my life and nothing is going to stop me from holding you in my arms for the rest of my life." Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that. Going to rub her back more, I held her close to me as I felt her move up my chest and then start to kiss me. Kissing her slowly as I went to grab her neck, I just smiled because this was exactly what I wanted to do right now with her on my chest.

However, we were soon interrupted by my phone going off. I groaned when that happened before going to look at Gabby. "Gabby, let me check." She nodded and agreed with me while cuddling up to me. Going to grab it, I saw it was the commissioner's office. "Babe, I have to take this...it's the Commissioner's Office." Gabby looked at me when I said that and nodded as she rolled over off of my chest so that she was laying down next to me rather than on my chest.

" Gabby looked at me when I said that and nodded as she rolled over off of my chest so that she was laying down next to me rather than on my chest

Tugging the covers up on top of me, I went to go answer my phone. "Hello?" That's when a receptionist spoke to me. "Hi, is this Battalion Chief Casey from Firehouse 51?" I agreed and smiled. "Speaking." The receptionist then spoke to me. "Well first, I want to send my congratulations on your new post from everybody here at HQ. Now, I am calling because the District Chief would like to speak to you. Is this a good time?" I agreed with her. "There is never a bad time for a conversation with the District Chief." I then looked at Gabby. "WOW!"

Gabby just laughed and smiled as she rolled over and went to kiss me softly. "I am going to the washroom. Be back in a minute." Going to grab her robe, Gabby went to get up and then made her way to the washroom. Meanwhile, I stayed here in bed while waiting to speak with Steve Walker, the District Chief for the Chicago Fire Department's 4th District...and Boden's boss.

NOTE: I have an idea for a storyline that only involves Jay and Erin so...I am going to write them for a while. Remember that they are a featured couple in this story. However, they are going to be more like a secondary/joint primary couple from now on.