Not expecting a head on assault, Maria held her Rakuyo up in a defensive form, she unfortunately underestimated his overwhelming strength.

Her bones rattled as he made contact, she feared the weight behind his overhead slash would chop her blades in two.

Maria quickly retaliated with a sharp pivot to the side, she held her weapon out while doing so, her blood soaked weapons glanced off Y/N's dagger while he shuffled in an arc.

Having just a second of breathing room, Maria felt the monstrous strength behind Y/N's swings once again.

They were locked in a staggering stalemate, Y/N's dagger slowly descended on her exposed chest while his saber was kept at bay with her own.

Their eyes locked once again, Y/N showed he had no mercy, not for a murderer such as her.

Maria was hesitant. She didn't want to kill Y/N, but what she saw in the dark pits of his soul told her otherwise.

Grunting in exertion, the elder Hunter felt red hot cinders crack off her dripping blood, it's warm presence soon turned to a near overwhelming heat, hot enough to turn the outer layer of Y/N's Rakuyo molten orange.

Her momentary gain in momentum suddenly dipped. What she thought was a solid deterrent, turned into a disadvantage.

She was absent from his training for too long. Her teachings weren't enforced enough or simply ignored overall. That alone drove an imaginary stake directly in her heart, breaking it.

He had gave into the power long ago, something similar and forbidden to what she used now, cascaded over his body, encasing him in a powerful shell of fire.

Their Rakuyos harshly grinded along each other before Maria hopped back, she safely disengaged just in time for whatever was within Y/N's range caught aflame.

She could see him through billowing cinders and crackling flames, his eyes - no longer a shade of (Color) - were now a sickly gold.

Lost in the disturbing show of power, Maria heard him speak, the thump of his boots accompanying his voice.

"Fearing the Old Blood made you rigid, scared." Holding his two blades apart, the young Hunter suddenly smashed their two hilts together, forming a dual sided blade. "Embracing it gave me the needed strength and resolve to see it through..." Y/N pulled his pistol from it's holster and clicked the firing mechanism back. "Of all the horrors Byrgenwerth has conjured, their evils they had committed, playing with something far beyond their understanding was their downfall... I'll be sure to destroy what remains of you blood crazed fiends. And satiate your manic curiosities with the monster you created."

Maria braced herself for his inevitable attack. Despite once being the master, and Y/N the pupil, she suddenly felt his powerful strikes slowly break and crumble her defenses.

Little by little, he chipped away at her with overwhelming speed and power. The two master Hunters were but blurs flying through the burning clocktower, their garbs created trails of ashes where they stepped and their bout was measured by momentary flashes of silver, blood and gunpowder.

Eventually, Y/N came out on top of the power struggle. He charged forward to hear the clash of their weapons, see their metal flying through the air and to smell her blood dripping off his dull blade.

She tried her best, but in the time of her absence he had mastered her own mentor's teachings. Thus leaving her on shaky feet with her body covered in several cuts and mild stab wounds, enough to leave one of her arms permanently disabled.