Hello, Goodbye

AU where Touka is a mermaid and Ken is a human.

A/N: Don't read this outside if you're an emotional person. If you do, then it's at your own risk.

--

"I want to go to land, father," Touka said, eyes showing strong determination. Her father, Arata rose an eyebrow upon what she'd just said and turned to her, "Why?"

"It seems interesting. I want to experience being a human for once and go to all the amazing places." She answered before pausing. "..Please?"

Arata sighed. He knew how stubborn his daughter was whenever she was stuck on something and nodded to agree. "I don't mind but it comes with a price. Are you willing to take the risk?"

Her father was the Sea God, which meant that he had the authority over all of the ocean citizens; the corals, the fishes, the merfolk consisting of mermaids and mermen. They were the dominant creatures in the whole sea. Creatures like them had a human body for the upper part of their body—which they usually covered with strapless bra tops for the females, and nothing for the males—and fish tails covered in silver and blue scales for the lower part.

"Very well. I shall give you a pair of legs so you can function on land. But Touka, you must remember to return here 1 year later, no matter what because our bodies are not made to survive on land. If we're out for too long, the body will shrivel up and die." He whispered a magic spell and cast it over her. "Go to the surface and your legs will appear when you're nearing land. Lastly, have fun and be safe." Touka kissed her father's cheek as a thank you before swimming upwards for the surface.

Her heart swelled with excitement and she found herself swimming even faster when the moonlight cutting through the water increased and she knew she was almost there. She inhaled a breath of fresh air as soon as her head popped out from the water and looked around.

A sea of deep blue surrounded her and her head tilted up at the bright full moon in the sky that had its rays reflected off the water surface. Her eyes shined at the beautiful sight of the moon so high up in the sky and decided that the real experience was so much better than seeing it from her house underwater, where the water always made the moon look so blurry.

Ducking her head under, she swam towards the shore and felt the slow transformation of her tail to human legs. Touka's heart dropped when she realized she didn't know how to swim using legs and she was drowning. She threw her hands out to find something, anything to hold onto and ended up grabbing a leg.

"Wah!" A male voice shouted and there was a huge splash of water as the male fell into the water.

I'm not ready yet! He thought as he struggled to open his eyes in the ice cold water. As soon as he did, he saw a beautiful woman in front of him, with ocean-blue eyes, long purple wavy hair and..she looked like she was drowning—from the way the bubbles escaped her mouth. His first instinct was to save her first, as he pulled her by the waist and started to swim for the surface.

While using one arm to hold the woman close to him, he used the other to cut through the water and go to the shore. He laid her down on the sand first and felt his heart skip a beat when he saw that her eyes were closed. She's going to die! What am I supposed to do?! As he thought about whether he should run to get help or try to revive her himself, Touka coughed and turned her head to the side to spit out the water she swallowed.

"A-Are you okay? Do you need anything?"

Upon opening her eyes, she saw a man. He had black hair, bangs covering his forehead, a pair of grey eyes, slim nose, and thin lips. Realizing that this was her first human encounter, she shot up and tried to get away from him by using her arms to push her body away from him.