Vampire x Human II

Part 2 to Vampire x Human

--

The two spent more time together and gradually became close friends. Kaneki could tell that Touka was the type of human who wouldn't purposely hurt him and Kaneki's presence has also healed Touka's heart bit by bit. But as much as she opened up to him, she has always avoided talking to him about her family.

--

Watching as Kaneki talked so passionately about his books reminded Touka of her deceased father, who also loved books. How her father used to read her brother and her stories and how her mother would always come and join them in bed and they would all fall asleep together. The thought of never seeing her parents and younger brother again brought tears to her eyes and she felt a finger wipe them away.

"Sorry, did I make you remember something painful?" Kaneki asked as a worried expression overcame his face.

She forced herself to smile. "A-Ah no, just some dust went into my eye."

He frowned. Even he could tell that she was lying. Pushing her head to his chest, he wrapped his arms tightly around her. "You can tell me anything you know. I'm your friend."

Her lips trembled and she bit on it to stop herself from breaking down right then and there. "Idiot, I told you it's just dust."

"Stop lying to yourself, Touka. You and I both know that's a lie. Don't hold back, I'm here for you."

She doesn't know if it's the tone of his voice or because they were talking about her family but it made her feel like crying. And so she did, grabbing onto his shirt and crying into his chest. For the first time in a few weeks, she felt so much better after letting out all of her sadness.

Seeing her like this, it made Kaneki want to be by her side, he wanted to do something, anything for her. He waited for her to calm down and pushed her back gently to stare straight into her eyes. "Can we be lovers?"

Maybe she was vulnerable due to her sadness, maybe because he looked so determined in her eyes, maybe because she wanted to be closer to him, that she said yes.

--

At first, it was just Kaneki's feelings of wanting to be with her but as the time passed, he slowly fell in love with her. The way she talks, her expressions, her gestures, her habits, her hobbies. His mind was filled with her every day. The same went for Touka. She fell in love with his silliness, his jokes, his caring side, and his passion for books, everything. Being together with him had also made her forget about her grief. They had fallen hopelessly and completely in love with each other.

--

The couple laid in bed underneath the blankets and tangled in each other's limbs. Kaneki's hands buried in Touka's hair and his fingers played with her violet-colored strands while gazing at her. Her fingers were drawing lazy circles on his chest and she suddenly stopped her action as she looked up at him, expression turning serious. "Hey... I want to ask you something."

"What's with the seriousness? What is it?"

"Tell me more about yourself and vampires."

"Why this all of a sudden?"

Her eyes were downcast. "I just feel like I don't know much about you even though you're always by my side. You rarely talk about yourself besides books."

Maybe because he hasn't had a companion or partner for hundreds and thousands of years that he has never known how it feels like to tell someone about himself. So Kaneki smiled and told her all about himself and being a vampire.