Different

Do check out my "Attention" one shot! For some unknown reason, wattpad didn't update properly and it didn't notify people that I updated so it has very little views 😭

---

AU that Kaneki was born a ghoul and his hair is white.

"I'm a ghoul." Kaneki said, his head tilted down and grey eyes glancing at his girlfriend to see her reaction and it was horrible. Pure horror was displayed on her face; eyes wide with her jaw down and mouth wide open. Judging from that expression, he knew that this wasn't going to work out.

Misa tried to remain calm as she spoke, "I'm sorry, I don't think this is going to work. If I have to constantly live in fear of you eating me, I would rather we break up. Thank you for everything. Good bye." She said and walked away from him.

Their relationship of one month ended just like that and as he watched her back get smaller and smaller as she walked further away from him, he felt his eyes come away wet and soon, he was crying.

Even though ghouls have been accepted in society, some still live in fear and despise ghouls. They are afraid that they would get eaten anytime or discriminate them because they are not human.

Misa was the first human girl he dated and one whom he truly loved. Only after 2 months, he was able to get over her. He decided he had to pull himself together and look forward again.

"Dude! I have someone to introduce to you!" Kaneki's only human friend, Nagachika Hideyoshi AKA Hide, called out to him while waving.

The blonde haired male dragged a violet haired female along with him.

"Hide, who is this?" Kaneki asked as he stared at the shorter female.

"She's Yoriko's friend, Kirishima Touka. Sorry to ask you of this, but could you keep her company for just 45 minutes while I go with Yoriko to the other side of the campus for a talk by a professor? She said she didn't want to follow us in and I thought it was bad to leave her alone where there are so many male predators here... So please?" Hide clapped his hands together and squeezed his eyes shut.

"Hide! I told you I'll be fine!" The girl known as Kirishima Touka, snapped at him.

"I don't mind." The ghoul said while smiling.

Touka gave him a look which obviously said "seriously?"

"Thanks dude!" With that, the blonde ran off and the two were left by themselves.

"Do you want to take a seat at the bench by the tree over there? It should be cooling there." Kaneki suggested while pointing. She nodded and they went to sit down in front of each other.

After sitting in silence for 2 minutes, Touka decided to break the silence. "Are you sad?"

"W-what?" He was taken aback by her sudden question. How could she tell?

"I can see it in your eyes. Did something happen recently?" She asked, trying to make casual conversation as she brought her arm up on the table, elbow pressing on it and her palm on the left side of her face.

"Ah yes... My girlfriend broke up with me 2 months ago after I told her that I was a ghoul..." Touka did not bat an eyelid or act shocked when he revealed his identity. Most would freak out, like Hide did at the beginning, but she didn't. In fact, she looked almost expressionless. "U-Um.. Are you not scared of me? I just told you that I'm a ghoul."

"There are other ghoul students in my class so I'm not scared. They act just like us, humans."

Kaneki was happy that besides Hide, someone else had these kind of thoughts. For the remaining time they had, they chatted and ended up being friends.

-Time Skip to 5 months-

Kaneki and Touka are now going out and have been for the past 4 months. Being with her was not stressful or anything, it was very pleasant and it's the happiest he has felt since his last breakup. Touka decided it was time to introduce him to her parents. Hearing that, he refused.

"Don't worry. My parents are really nice. They won't say anything about you being a ghoul."

"That's what everyone says. In the end, they'll all talk bad about me."

"Please." Touka pleaded. "I want to show my boyfriend to them." Somehow, she managed to persuade him to go meet her parents but it wasn't a good idea after all.

---

"You're a ghoul?" Kirishima Arata repeated.

"..Yes." Kaneki replied and tilted his head down. He knew it. Everyone is the same, they all hate ghouls.

"Touka. Come sit over here." Kirishima Hikari said, patting the spot next to her. She did as she was told, shifting to sit beside her mother. "I won't approve of this relationship. I cannot trust my daughter with you. Break up immediately."

"MOM!" The violet haired female shouted. So much for promising Kaneki that her parents wouldn't do this kind of thing.

"Keep your mouth shut. So what's your answer?" She asked, turning to the ghoul.

Kaneki clenched his fists and gritted his teeth. He couldn't cry, not here. He stood up and bowed. "I'm sorry. We will break up, as you wish." He made his own way out and standing in the middle of the road, a sob escaped his lips and tears flowed down his cheeks.

Again. This is happening again. He never chose to be born a ghoul, he wished he never had. If he hadn't, he wouldn't have all these problems and experienced these feelings. His heart hurts.

Touka wanted to chase after him but she couldn't, her parents made her listen to a lecture about staying away from ghouls and blah blah blah. But at this point, she was more worried about him. He had told her before, he hated others denying him because he was a ghoul and that it was the most horrible feeling in the world. She knew that and yet, she never considered his feelings at all and forced him to meet her parents.

By the time the lecture was over, he was nowhere to be found. Her heart raced and she took a cab to his house. His place was messy, with clothes and books strewn all over the floor and upon entering his room, she saw him squatting down at the corner, sobbing quietly.

She squatted down beside him and attempted to rest her hand on his back but he slapped her hand away. "Go away. I don't want to see you right now."

Tears brimmed at her eyes and dripped down. "I'm sorry, Ken! I-I didn't mean to--"

"It's fine. Please just...go away..."

Touka wanted to see his face and she turned him around. His face looked horrible; eyes red and wet cheeks from crying. She pushed his head to her chest, hugging him tightly. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry!"

The ghoul wrapped his arms tightly around her and cried into her chest. After both of them got all of their feelings out, they separated hesitantly. She cupped his cheeks and made him look up at her. "Hey... Let me see your eyes and Kagune."

He did as he was told and brought them out. Closing his eyes, he opened them a second later to reveal red irises and black scleras with red veins across the eyes and the skin around the eyes. 2 bright red shiny tentacles appeared from under his shirt at his back.

Looking into his eyes and caressing his cheeks, she smiled. "You are unique in your own way. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. No matter what they say about you, I will still love you for who you are."

A tear dripped down his cheek and the ends of his lips curved up to a small smile. Kaneki leaned forward to press his lips onto hers and pulled back. "Thank you."

---

So apparently I got inspired after rewatching Shrek a second time when the king refused to accept Shrek being Fiona's husband and being an ogre. I found that really sad. Just because you're a little different from everyone else, doesn't mean you should be treated differently.

My heart literally hurt when I wrote this story. Ouch ><