Come Back

WARNING! CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM TOKYO GHOUL ROOT A!

--

Do you think of me?

Care for me?

I get so alone.

Alone.

Traffic lights the crossing crown.

How could I live my life without you?

Touka hummed her favorite song as she laid down on her bed and stared up at the plain white ceiling. On these cold and rainy nights, her mind often wandered to Kaneki and she turned to her side to lie in a fetus position and cried herself to sleep.

It's been 3 months since the raid that he left her for Aogiri. Ever since then, she has tried not to think about him but she couldn't. Whatever she did, wherever she went, she would always be reminded of him.

Her room reminded her of how he would sit by her side and teach her Literature. How she would force herself to stay awake just to listen to the soothing sound of his voice. The living room where he always made her coffee whenever he came over. Though she could still remember the horrible bitter taste of it. Anteiku, where they went through slow and busy days together. The underground, where they often trained until they collapsed and had to get Yomo to support them home.

Oh, what nice times they had. And now, all of these moments are gone and she regretted so many things. She regretted not being nicer to him, not thanking him when he helped her, for always hitting and kicking him and many more. But the one thing she regretted the most was not confessing her feelings to him and by the time she noticed it, he was already gone.

The next day, Touka woke up feeling groggy as hell and decided to take a day off to rest in her room and maybe get some studying done. She never achieved anything the whole day because she spent it thinking about Kaneki again. It was already night time when she laid on her bed, closed her eyes and hummed her favourite song again.

Will you think of me?

Search for me?

I'll be so alone...

Alone.

Traffic light the crossing crowd.

How will I live my life without you?

A gust of wind swept past her and Touka jumped out of her bed when she felt someone's presence. She glanced around until her blue eyes landed on the white-haired male who was standing inside her room. His eyes met hers, equally as wide and surprised. He had visited her with the intention of only seeing her sleeping face and leave quietly without her realizing but it's too late to do that now that she saw him.

He had his head turned to the side, eyes averting hers. He couldn't face her, not after he'd done such a horrible thing to her by leaving her and Anteiku when she even went to the trouble to rescue him. He had already decided that if she were to punch or slap him, he would take it because he deserved it.

Nothing shocked him more than feeling a pair of arms wrap around his waist so tightly. Kaneki looked down at Touka who had her face buried in his chest and her arms around him. Is this real? Is she really hugging me? His thoughts were interrupted by the muffled voice of Touka as she spoke into his chest and he felt bad because she sounded like she was about to cry. "Bakaneki... Where have you been..." 

Kaneki placed his hands on her shoulders and attempted to push her away but that action made her tighten the grip she had on him. "Touka-chan... I won't leave so please let go of me."

"Liar. You promised me you wouldn't leave me alone but you still left for Aogiri."

"...I can't deny but please listen to what I have to say."

"Fine." She released him and his heart hurt when he saw she had tears falling down her cheeks. Kaneki moved to wipe them away with his thumbs and cupped her cheeks. "I like you, Touka-chan. I know I don't have the right to say that but I just wanted to let you know. I'm sorry if this made you feel uncomfortable, you can just pretend I didn't say anything--" 

His mind just went blank when Touka pressed her lips to his cheek and pulled back with a blush on her face. "Idiot... That's what I wanted to say. I like you too, Bakaneki." 

He stared down at her with a dumbfounded expression before he broke out into a grin, one that she hadn't seen in a long time. "I-I can't believe this... I thought you hated me so I always had this one-sided crush on you."

"Well I love you too so it's mutual." Touka wrapped her arms around his neck and smiled. "Hey, kiss me."

Kaneki swallowed and focused on her pink soft lips. "R-Really?"

"Yes."

He tilted his head to the right and captured her lips into his. His arms encircled her waist as she stood on her toes to deepen the kiss and they separated to catch their breaths before locking lips once more. They continued kissing whilst Touka kept on walking backward until her legs hit the end of the bed and they tumbled down onto the soft mattress, with his arms under her head to protect it from getting hit. Kaneki got on his fours and pushed his body up to look down at her. "Are you okay?"

She nodded. "Will you stay?"

The male knew she would catch him immediately if he tried to lie and kissed her to avoid answering the question. Luckily for him, she didn't press the issue any further and returned the kiss. 

"Will you stay with me till I fall asleep?" She asked.

"I will." He moved to lay down beside her and Touka rested her head on his chest. He tensed up at the close proximity and she laughed as she listened to the racing sound of his heartbeat. "You're so nervous that it's cute."

Despite teasing him about it, she was nervous too as she could hear her heart beat so loudly in her ears. Kaneki's arm itched to wrap around her and he decided he would go with it and if she didn't like it, he would apologize and stop. And so he raised his arm to wrap around her torso, hand resting on her shoulder. She didn't protest or move away and he assumed that she was okay with him doing that.

Touka smiled at his timid action and felt her eyes droop. No, you can't sleep now. You need to He's finally here and with you. Although her mind was screaming at her to not fall asleep, her body was exhausted from the endless nights of tossing and turning and still staying awake in her bed. She eventually lost to her fatigue and fell asleep. Kaneki's smile turned into a frown and he pressed a kiss to her forehead while letting a tear escape his eye. 

I'm sorry.

The next morning, Touka woke up alone in her room and looked around for him but he wasn't there. She found a note on her desk and picked it up to read it. It said:

Dear Touka-chan,

This is Kaneki. If you are reading this note right now, I have already left Anteiku and gone back to Aogiri. I'm sorry. In the end, I still couldn't stay with you but I promise I'll be back for you after I'm done with what I want to accomplish. I love you.

Kaneki.

Tears dripped down her cheeks.

Time will slip away.

Leaving pieces of little moments I've been with you

Shared with you

Someday I'll move on...

Kaneki never came back for her.

--

Sorry guys! Didn't meant for it to be so depressing... I wanted to make it a happier ending but I have a habit of writing stories with emotional OSTS so it came out like this. Gomen! Hope you guys enjoyed! :D

What do you guys think about me rewriting the one-shots? Yes , no?