Father At Home

Request by @ACE_455

Pic above by @neimana on tumblr.

--

"Are you sure you're okay with taking care of the kids, Ken? They can be a handful sometimes." Touka asked as she stood at the doorstep. It was Sunday, one of the busiest days of the week and she couldn't take leave to stay at home with the kids.

Kaneki moved to kiss his wife on the lips and pulled back with a smile. "I'll be fine. Don't worry and head to work."

Although she was still worried since this was his first time taking care of them, she decided to trust him. "Okay... Text me if anything happens and I'll come up straight away. See you later."

With that, the mother of two left to go downstairs to her cafe. The male yawned and looked at the clock. Since it was still early and the children are not awake yet, he went back to bed for another few hours.

--

Kaneki was in the middle of a very pleasant dream which he couldn't remember what it was about until he was awoken by the sound of someone shouting. His eyes cracked open and in front of him was Yumi—his 7-year-old daughter—sitting on his stomach and staring down at him with her big grey eyes. Her long purple hair was sticking out in many directions and he chuckled as he used his hands to push some of the hair down. "Good morning, Yumi-chan."

She grinned. "Morning, papa! I want breakfast! Kou is hungry too!"

"Alright. Go wait at the dining table first. Papa will be there in 5 minutes, okay?"

"Okay!" Yumi jumped off of him and the bed and ran outside while shouting her brother's name.

Kaneki got up and went to the bathroom to wash up. He entered the living room with a new set of clothes and Kou—his 5-year-old son—greeted his father upon seeing him. "Good morning, daddy."

He ruffled his son's black hair and smiled. "Good morning to you too, Kou. So what do you guys want to eat?"

"Daddy's omelet rice!" The two children shouted and Kaneki grabbed a frying pan. "Special omelet rice coming up!"

While their father was cooking their food, the kids took their toys and played with them on the table. "SHA!! THE DINOSAUR IS COMING TO EAT DESTROY YOUR CITY!!!" Yumi roared and used her dinosaur toy to hit the stacks of buildings Kou just built. The stacks collapsed too fast that one block hit Kou's forehead, where it slowly turned into an ugly red.

Kou's eyes watered and he started bawling. "It hurts, daddy!!"

Kaneki quickly turned off the stove and rushed to his son. "What happened? Ahh, it's red... We'll have to put a band-aid on that."

The boy pointed to his older sister and continued crying. "Yumi's fault! She...the dinosaur—hit my buildings then it hit me!"

"What! I didn't do anything! It's your fault you built them so high!" She folded her arms and faced the other way.

"Yumi, you did indirectly hurt Kou. You have to apologize for something you did wrong. Say sorry. " Kaneki said sternly.

"No!" She refused to admit that it was her fault. That stubbornness definitely came from Touka.

"If you don't apologize now, you won't get to eat your omelet rice."

Hearing that, she loosened her arms and turned to Kou. "I'm sorry."

"Good girl. Could you go get the first aid kit for me? You know where it is right?" Kaneki asked and she nodded.

While she went to get the box, he grabbed some tissues to clean Kou's wet eyes and nose. "It's okay, Kou. Once daddy put a band-aid, you'll be okay in no time! Besides, you have mommy's pretty blue eyes, it would be a waste to cover them with tears, right?"