Heart

AU everyone is a human.

"His heart is failing. He only has 3 months left."

Touka's heart dropped rock bottom the moment she heard that from the doctor.

She staggered along the corridors of the hospital as she thought about how she is going to tell her lover, Kaneki Ken, that he only has 3 months to live.

Her knees finally gave way and she dropped to the floor, crying.

---

"Ah good afternoon, Touka-chan." Kaneki looked up from his book and greeted her as she entered the hospital room.

"Hello. How do you feel?" Touka asked as she sat down onto the chair by his bed.

"Other than the occasional pain in my chest, I feel good." Kaneki put his book down onto his lap and placed his hand on her cheek. "Were you crying?" He asked, concerned.

"My eyes were itchy so I rubbed them. I'm fine." Touka took his hand from her cheek and held it in her hands.

"Okay." Kaneki wasn't satisfied with her answer but he just left it at that. "So what did the doctor say?"

"Ah oh yeah the doctor..." She squeezed his hand and tears dropped from her cheeks to his hand.

"Huh? Why am I crying? Sorry Kaneki..." Touka lets go of his hand and attempts to wipe her tears away but they refuse to stop falling.

Kaneki raised his hand to dry her tears. "The news wasn't so good right? Just tell me, I'm okay."

"The..doctor said...you only have 3 months left..." Touka choked in between tears.

"3 months huh? That's enough for me I guess. I have lived this long and it's time to leave."

"Don't say that..." Touka got up from her seat and hugged him.

Kaneki hugged her back. "Why I said that is because I have lived long enough to have met someone like you, someone who I love dearly and also loves me back."

"I love you, Kaneki."

"I love you too, Touka-chan."

---

"Doctor can I request permission to bring Kaneki out of the hospital for the next 3 months?" Touka asked.

"But that will only make the remaining time he has even shorter, do you understand what that means?"

"I understand but I want to do many things with him before he leaves."

"Okay I got it. If we find a donor we will contact you immediately. For now, I'll pass you some medicine for Kaneki to take to ease his heart pain."

"Thank you."

---

Kaneki is leaving the hospital and will be staying at Anteiku once again in his old room. Touka will be moving in with him.

For the next 3 months, Touka and Kaneki were inseparable. They went everywhere together and all the places they could think of; except for those extreme stuff that Kaneki's heart can't take.

3 weeks before Kaneki's due date, Touka received a call from the hospital; saying that they still haven't found a donor for Kaneki and Touka offered herself up to be the donor. The hospital took her blood and analyzed it, saying that they would call her back if it was possible.

1 week later...

Touka got another call from the hospital and was told that she was suitable to be Kaneki's donor. She signed up for it without his knowledge.