A Second Chance

AU they are humans.

"Why are you always like this? I hate you!" Touka screamed as she ran out of the house.

Kaneki folded his arms and plopped down onto the sofa. He was in no mood to chase after her right now. He'll do it later. Little did he know that someone big is about to happen. After a few hours, he started getting worried because every time they quarrel, she would usually come back after 2 hours and they would apologize to each other. But it's already been 4 hours and he is getting anxious. He called her cellphone but it only led to voicemail. "Touka-chan, where are you? I'm sorry I was so selfish earlier. Please come back. Call me back as soon as you hear this so I know that you're alright."

Not wanting to just sit there and wait, he changed his clothes and left the house to go find his wife. Walking along the streets, he saw couples everywhere being all lovey-dovey and he looked down at his empty hand, where her hand would always be. He wanted to faster find her, hug her and tell her that he was sorry. Noticing a crowd on the road, he brisk-walked over and his eyes widened as he saw who was lying on the ground. His wife.

He charged towards her and held her up by her shoulders. She was all bloody and a car laid a few meters away from her. He could already guess what happened. His voice felt weak. "Touka-chan?"

"Ken is that you?"

Her vision was blur and she can only see the outline of his face but not his expression. But she knows how he's feeling right now.

"Yes it's me." He didn't know what to say or what to do. His body just froze right there.

"Listen to me. I-I'm sorry for the way I've treated you. I know I've always been selfish and I take advantage of the fact that you are always so patient and I always did as I liked. But no matter what I do, please just know that I love you."

Tears dripped down onto her face as he spoke, "I love you too. I never once thought that you were selfish. Someone already called an ambulance. You are going to make it out of here, I promise."

She smiled weakly and raised her hand, wanting to cup his cheek. But just as her heart stopped, her hand dropped down, not fulfilling her desire of touching him. Before her eyes closed, she could still hear him shout her name but it felt like a distance to her.

"Touka-chan!"

He hugged her limp body close to his and he couldn't stop his tears.

---

Opening her eyes, she looked around. All around her was white and in the middle of the seamless white, she saw a golden staircase in the middle.

"Oh, you're finally up!"

A voice sounded and shocked her. A person or what are those attached to her back—wings?—leaned over Touka.

"Who and what are you?" She asked and took cautious steps backwards. Scanning the person or whatever they were, Touka noticed that she was a very pretty. Long blonde hair, blue eyes, wearing a long white dress and wings on her back.

The person or whatever giggled. "You don't have to be so afraid. I'm an angel. I've come to pick you up and escort you to heaven."

"Heaven? I'm not dead! This must be some kind of mistake!" She exclaimed.

The angel's expression suddenly turned grim. "You are. Look at that."

Something like a movie theatre screen—but smaller, appeared before her and she could see a crowd and among the crowd, she spotted her husband. Looking at the surroundings, it was a cemetery and many were wearing black clothes and holding flowers. They each took turn to place a flower on the grave. When it came to Kaneki's turn, there were whispers among them.