Krieg II

Continuation to Part 1.

Having heard of this terrible news, Arima had asked for her to return to his house so they can properly take care of her and her son, to which she agreed. There was no point staying in a house alone and waiting for someone who would never come home.

For the first few weeks, Touka refused to leave her room and spent every single day crying her eyes out while holding the photo and cross necklace Ken had left behind. Her husband's death had affected her so badly that she would refuse to eat or drink much and even collapsed due to her frail body.

Arima had wanted to leave her alone so time would heal her wounds but he decided that it was time to show her the letter Ken had written before he left for the war. He slid it under the door and she picked it up a few hours later when she realized that it was there.

--

To my dearest Touka,

I hope that this letter would never land in your hands ever but if you are reading this right now, it would mean that I've passed away during the battle.

The first thing I would like to say is I am sorry for not fulfilling my promise to you about coming back. After I returned, we would go to Paris and London together and maybe even start a family. I looked forward to the days we would spend together living in our small cottage peacefully, waking up with you by my side, having our meals together and even arguing once in a while. Even if it was a simple life, I wanted it, because it was with you.

The second thing is I have actually talked to my father about this and I want you to have all of the fortunes I inherited from my father. Please don't argue with me or my father about this because I have already decided. I hope the money is able to support you for the rest of your life and I would be happy if you could use it to open a shelter for orphaned children. You may not know this but I am an orphan and my father adopted me. Not every child is as fortunate as me and I do not want them to remain an orphan forever. So I hope you will accomplish this wish of mine.

The third thing is please take care of yourself after I'm gone. Move on with life, perhaps marry a nice guy and have children with him. I don't want you to be hung up over a dead person like me. You deserve happiness and God has decided that I am not the person to give it to you.

The last thing is I love you. I love you very much. I hope that you will at least remember that after you re-marry. Thank you for making me the happiest man on earth when you agreed to marry me. I wish you happiness and all the best in everything you do.

Goodbye.

Love, Ken.

--

At the end of the letter, her tears couldn't stop falling.

--

For the first time in weeks, Touka left the room and had a proper meal. She used the money Ken had left for her to open an orphanage in the city and made sure to take care of herself. Although she wanted to honor all of his wishes, there was one she wouldn't fulfill for him no matter what, and that was to re-marry. This was because she's extremely sure that she wouldn't fall for another man beside Ken for the rest of her life.

After regaining the strength she lost in those few weeks, she went to town for shopping. Looking through the endless aisles of baby clothes, she placed a hand on her 6 months old sized belly and picked out some cute rabbit onesies. Hearing a child's laughter nearby, she looked at the family beside her.

The little girl jumped up and down as she pulled on her father's pants while holding a blue baby shirt. "Papa! I think this one will look nice on little brother Aki!"