für immer

A/N: für immer means forever

AU where Ken is a full ghoul and Touka is a human. Set in an era where ghouls are recognized as people like humans are, and are allowed to be like humans. 

Request for: cesqu20036526

--

Ken ran and ran, holding a hand over the big hole in his torso, under the heavy rain. His feet hurt, his body numb and vision slowly fading. Turning into a narrow alley, he hoped that this would make his enemies lose sight of him. When their presences disappeared, he let out a huge sigh of relief and slid down the wall. He tried to force his eyes open but it was no use, as he succumbed to the darkness.

"That damned Nishiki! Purposely closing the shop slowly—" Touka paused in her sentence as her eyes narrowed at an outline of someone's body laying on the floor. Taking a step closer, she gasped when she saw a white-haired male lying in a puddle of his own blood. There was a gaping hole in his stomach and she quickly squatted down beside him to check whether he was still breathing.

She tensed upon feeling his breath. He was alive, but barely. At that moment, she knew that he was a ghoul. If he were a normal human, he would have died from blood loss a long time ago. Her mind debated over whether she should leave him to die here or nurse him. Freak it, she cursed. She didn't want to be responsible for this guy's death if she did leave him alone.

--

Touka grimaced at the amount of blood she cleaned using 3 bath towels and quickly bandaged his torso without looking at the huge wound. Finally, she settled his body onto her bed and watched as his eye twitched in his sleep.

The male stirred and slowly opened his grey eyes. It then darted all over before looking directly at her. Kaneki bolted up from the bed and jumped to the corner of her room. He bared his teeth at her and brought out his kakugan. Before he could let his kagune out, he doubled over and groaned in pain.

"H-hey! You can't just get up so fast like that! You're injured!" Touka exclaimed as she made an attempt to walk towards him and try to get him back onto the bed. A kagune tendril shot out from his back and turned into the form of a spear before pointing so closely at her face.

"Don't come any closer to me." He warned. He couldn't tell whether she was an enemy or friend and had to be cautious.

His attitude was starting to piss her off. "Excuse me, I was the one who found you half dead in the alley and bandaged you up! The least you could do is thank me, and not point your kagune at me!"

Kaneki glanced over to the bloody bath towels beside him and then down to his bandaged body. Withdrawing his kagune and kakugan, he relaxed and sat down. "..Thank you."

"Good. Now lie back down onto the bed. You need rest."

He does as he's told and turned to face the wall. He heard her saying some stuff as she cleared the towels up but he doesn't bother when he's busy thinking of sleeping and leaving as soon as possible.

The first thing he did when dawn broke was move the woman from her sofa to the bed and left her house through the window.

--

Touka awoke to the bright morning sun and frowned when she saw that he already left her place. He still looked pretty weak last night and she hoped that he was okay. At the back of her mind, she wondered what happened to have made people attack him until he was fatally wounded. But she swept the thought away. It's not like she'll ever see him again.

She went on with her usual life, working at a cafe near her home and spent her days peacefully.

It's been one week since Kaneki met with the lady who saved his life. His stomach hasn't healed at all and he cursed himself for being so weak. This was all because he couldn't find any food in this ward, nor could he kill anyone here due to strict laws of this ward. In his previous ward, he was able to get human meat with ease and still get away with it.