Fate

AU Touka is a human and Kaneki was born half ghoul.

The half ghoul looked at the full blood moon in the sky.

"Tonight's meal will be an old person." He declared as he jumped from building to building, slowly approaching the hospital.

Using his Rinkaku Kagune to latch onto the hospital's outer walls, he slowly crawled up, checking every window for an old patient.

He came to an abrupt stop when he noticed a girl around 20 years old, opening the window and sitting on the ledge.

His Kagune changed direction and he made his way over to the girl.

"What are you doing?" He asked, curious as to why she's sitting there.

The girl screamed and almost fell off but his Kagune caught her in time.

"You're a ghoul!" She exclaimed, looking at his tentacles.

"Yeah. What now? Are you going to alert the authorities?" The half ghoul asked nonchalantly.

"No... Since I'm going to die anyway. Because I found out that you're a ghoul." She replied.

"Hmm interesting answer. My name is Kaneki Ken. Nice to meet you. You are?"

"Kirishima Touka."

"So Kirishima, what are you doing now?" Kaneki asked.

"Attempting to suicide until you interrupted me."

"Why?"

"Because I developed a disease that can't be cured and will kill me in 5 months. So why not save myself the bills and the pain and just die right now?" Touka explained.

Scratching his head, he replied, "I don't get humans."

She chuckled and he blinked. She's laughing. For some reason, he found her beautiful.

"You're a weird one. Usually ghouls would kill anyone who spots them. But you're like introducing yourself and talking to me. Oh yeah. What's under that scary mask? I wanna see your face. I won't tell anyone, I promise."

Somehow, he trusted that she wouldn't break her promise and revealed his face.

What she said next surprised him.

"You have beautiful eyes."

Usually people would terrified upon seeing a ghoul's eyes; black sclera and red pupils but she wasn't and was the first to say that it was beautiful.

His breath hitched. "What?"

She giggles and turns around, feet landing on her room's floor. "Come in. We wouldn't want anyone to see your tentacles, would we?"

Kaneki took her up on her offer and entered her room, keeping his Kagune. He looked around the room and his face unconsciously turned into a disgusted expression upon laying eyes on the fruits sitting on the table beside the bed.

She must have noticed that he didn't like the sight of it and placed the fruits basket on the floor. Settling down onto the bed, Touka patted the spot next to her; signaling to him to sit down.

He does and they talk until she falls asleep.

The next day he comes back, this time from the door.

The day after that, then weeks.

"Say... What are some things you want to do before you die?" Kaneki asked one day.

Touka pondered about his question. "Hmm... Before I've had this illness, I have already done many stuff. So the last thing I want to do is to get married I guess and it's not possible."

"Why do you say so?"

"Because I don't have anyone to fall in love with." She says, turning to him. They make eye contact and quickly look away.

"Will you consider me as your partner?" The half ghoul asks, cheeks burning. He can't believe he just asked that.

She smiles. "Sure. Why not?"

---

They start dating for a while but since Touka wasn't allowed to leave the hospital grounds, they could only have dates in the garden or just in the room.

Kaneki would visit everyday to keep her company and talk until night which is when he leaves. He often brought books and read them to her, make her laugh with jokes and kiss her.

After one month, he proposed to her and she accepted with tears. They then had a mini wedding ceremony in the room with Touka in her dress and Kaneki in his tuxedo.

Even though they couldn't have children, he didn't mind; as long as she was happy.

It was the most fun she's had in months. But fun times are almost over.

As the days goes by, she gets weaker and weaker. It hurts him to see her like that.

On the last day, Touka made a request to Kaneki.

"Could you bring me out to see the fireworks at the festival? I've always wanted to see it together with my husband." She asks, voice barely audible anymore.

"Of course... Come on." He removes all of the tubes that were attached to her body and carries her on his back.

"Hold on tight because I'll be jumping."

She wraps her arms around his neck tightly. "Okay."

He brings her to an empty park near the festival and seats her down onto a bench before he settles down beside her.

The half ghoul wraps an arm around her and pulls her close. He brings her hand close to his and intertwined their fingers.

The couple waits until night arrives and the counting down starts.

10!9!8!7!6!5!4!3!2!1!

BOOM! The first fireworks of the night shoots high up in the sky.

They watch the fireworks in silence and towards the end, Touka whispers to Kaneki.

"Can I see your Kagune?"

He couldn't refuse her request, standing in front of her and releasing his tentacles. They were bright red; just like the fireworks in the sky.

She smiles and it looked like she knew her time was up. He feels his eyes burning and blinks away the tears. I can't cry, I can't cry in front of her.

Kaneki then withdraws his Kagune and sits back down. They gazed at each other for a very long time. Touka raises her hands to cup his cheeks and leans in to kiss him. He returns the kiss, softly sucking on her lips.

They separates and she leans her head against his arm. Her breathing slows down and she closes her eyes. The ring on her fourth finger slides off and drops onto the ground.

"Thank you."

The moment those words left her lips, Kaneki knew she's gone from this world forever. The tears he was holding back streamed down his cheeks and he breaks down.

Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was by choice but falling in love with you was beyond my control. - Unknown

---

Okay soooo ending it with Kaneki crying was kinda weird, so I ended it with a quote.

I'm crying T___T

I have a hate-love relationship with tragedy fanfics. They're nice to write but they make me cry. :(