Ice Skating

From: Kaneki Ken

To: Kirishima Touka

Are you free this Saturday?

--

Yes, why?

--

Keep Saturday free. I'm taking you on a date.

--

Okay.

--

On the day of the date, the white haired male waited outside Anteiku and shoved his hands into his pockets. Ahh... I can't wait to see her. It's been a long time since we went out on a date, with us being busy with studies and work.

Kaneki's ears picked up the thumping sound of someone running down Anteiku's staircase and the main door opened to reveal a panting Touka. She ran to in front of him and rested her hands on her knees. "Sorry I'm late..." She breathed as she struggled to catch her breath.

He shrugged, as if it's something that can't be helped. "It's okay. It's the usual you." Immediately after he said that, he regretted it as she punched his arm, earning an 'ow' and a chuckle from him.

The violet-haired female straightened her back and took his hand. "Let's go."

A blush crept up his cheeks and he turned away, not wanting her to tease him again for being so shy.

--

Walking down the streets with their fingers intertwined with each other's, Touka glanced over to her boyfriend and asked, "Why did you ask me to dress warmer today? Is it related to our date?"

Turning his head to her, he scanned her outfit for today; a brown turtleneck shirt and jeans and put his finger to his lips. "It's a secret."

Knowing how he loves giving surprises and how secretive he can be about them, Touka decided not to prod any further and just wait until she sees it. Most of his surprises are usually pleasant so she thought she didn't have to be so nervous about it.

Or so she thought. She stood there, in front of a ticketing counter which says "Ice Skating" at the top and her face paled immediately. Her hand weakly pulled on his shirt and he turned to her with a puzzled expression on his face. "C-Can we not do this ice skating thing?"

"Ehh you didn't like ice skating? I didn't know that! Ahh... The tickets I reserved will be wasted..." he frowned as he looked down at the tickets in his hands.

Seeing the disappointed expression on his face, she didn't have the heart to reject him. "Ahh... actually, it's okay I think we can go in after all."

His face brightened up as he dragged her to get their ice skates. "Don't worry! It'll be fun!"

"Uh yeah..." Her response lacked excitement, an exact opposite of his, which was full of enthusiasm.

--

Stepping onto the ice first, Kaneki turned behind and held out his hand for her. "Take your time. I'm here."

Right now, her mind was swirling with so many thoughts. Don't fall down and embarrass yourself! Actually, can I go home?! But this date was one that Kaneki planned out and she didn't want to disappoint him.

She took his hand, stepped onto the ice and felt herself sliding forward. I'm going to fall, she thought as she closed her eyes to prepare for the pain but instead of feeling the coldness of the ice, she felt the warmth from the arms around her. Opening her eyes, she tilted her head up to look at Kaneki, who was smiling down at her. "Are you okay?"

"Y-Yeah." She answered and felt his arms slowly loosen. Not wanting to slip again, she held onto him for dear life and buried her face into his shoulder. "Don't laugh at me when I say this but I have no experience in ice skating."

Kaneki couldn't help but laugh and she glared at him with a look that said that she will kill him if he continued to laugh. He ceased his laughter and let go of her, hands quickly going to hold hers. "I didn't expect you to not know how to skate but I can teach you. I've trained just for today after all."

It took her a while to connect the dots. "Wait, does that mean you learned to skate just to take me on this date?"

He scratched his warming cheek. "Well Hide offered when I told him about this date..."

She bit the inside of her cheek as she tried to hold back a smile. He put in so much effort for this, I can't disappoint him now, can I? "Okay. Teach me how to skate. But if you laugh, I'll seriously kill you."

A grin crossed his face. "Okay."

"Asshole. I just told you not to laugh—" She wasn't able to complete what she wanted to say as he pulled her forward, and she struggled to move according to his pace.

"Open your legs wider and bend your knees. You need to lean your body forward so that you don't fall backward." Kaneki instructed as he moved to stand beside her and pressed her stomach in and her back down a little.

"O-Okay." Her hand was squeezing his so tightly that he almost couldn't feel his own hand but he knows she's trying as he watched her slowly putting more distance between her legs and bent her knees.

He skated in front of her and held her hands. "Now, your right leg will go first. Bend your knees and skate with your right leg towards the right side. Do the same thing to your left after you're done with your right."

Listening to his instruction, Touka followed as he said, right leg first then left leg. She looked up at her and smiled widely. "I did it, Kaneki!"

He returned a smile. "Good. I'm going to let go of your hands now and you try to do it again."

"W-Wait! I can't do it without holding you!" She panicked.

"You can. You always were better in these sports stuff than me." He smiled again to reassure her. Kaneki slowly released her hand and she repeated the steps again. She skated forward, which was good progress, but a little too fast and couldn't stop herself when the wall was getting closer and closer to her. The white-haired male quickly skated to her and grabbed her arm, pulling her into his chest and narrowly avoided the wall.

He panted and slowly released her. "Are you alright?"

"Y-Yeah..."

"Let's take a break."

The two got off the skating rink and sat down on a bench with cups of warm coffee in their hands. They sat in silence as they sipped their coffee and Kaneki finally broke the silence with an apology. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have let go of you when you said you weren't ready. Maybe this date was a bad idea—"

"Yeah I told you I couldn't do it. So take responsibility and continue teaching me until I can do it."

He stared at her. "A-Are you sure—"

"Of course. You're the one who's more experienced in this."

Tears brimmed in his eyes and he moved to peck her on the lips. He quickly pulled back before she makes a fuss because she hates being shown affection like this in public. Kaneki placed his cup down and stood up, holding his hand out. "Let's go."

"Idiot..." She let out a small smile as she placed his hand onto his.

- EXTRA -

Kaneki sighed as he watched Touka fall for the umpteenth time. "I wonder why..?"

Touka got up again and fixed him with a determined look. "Let's go our 47th time! I'm not giving up!"

He faked a smile. You're not giving up, but I want to.