Dust (TehChaos)

cosmic-kyo this is for you :3

Anthony and John stood and watched the sunset even as the darkness crept closer to them. They had long since stopped fearing the wasted away monsters that lurked there. Hands squeezing together, they watched as the sun slowly sunk into the ocean, the sound of the water hitting the beachside a comforting background noise. This was one of the last few peaceful places in the dusty remains the world was. There had been others, a long time ago. Others whose bones had long since become part of the thick dust in the air. The dust that had forced survivors to wear gas masks or anything of the source that would filter the dust out of the air for them to safely breath it in. 

John's straight-backed next to him, eyes forward, watching the lingering colours that dance in the sky, not yet ready to relinquish the sky to the moon and stars. Anthony squeezes his hand in a short pattern, and John looks at him. Anthony nods. They tug off the heavy gas masks they had previously been wearing, dropping them onto the sand beneath their feet. Anthony smiles at John, and he pulls the shorter to his chest, hand releasing John's so he can cup the male's cheeks as he kisses him. He pulls back, and they smile breathlessly at each other. The dust makes the air thick without their masks, the particles clinging to their tongues, lips, faces. Eyelashes coated in the fine dust already. Their hair is covered in a thin layer of it as they grip hands again, walking towards the water. 

The ocean is cool, and the stars wink at them from the rapidly darkening sky. They are weighed down by the guilt in their heads that belonged to survivors, and the stones in their pockets.