Burn (TehChaos)

This is another one for Broken_Flame and I hope you enjoy :3 

His touch burns, John muses later, when he's nursing a large, volleyball-sized hole in his chest. He idly is making something to eat while his body works its magic to repair itself. He knows that Anthony is out in the night right now, probably congratulating himself on what he thought was a victory. But really, the hunter should know that vampires don't go down so easily. John absently prods at the fleshy gore that's steadily patching itself back together, and wonders if he'd see the hunter again. Oh yes, he would, even if he had to draw attention to himself just to draw the hunter back to him. It would be easy, just hunt around a few nearby towns until Anthony came searching out the cause. The thought made him smile, and he thoughtfully prods the floating hand that kept trying to escape the pot with his spoon. Perhaps I'll invite him in this time. The thought makes him chuckle at the irony of it, and the hand finally sinks to the bottom of the pot, disappearing into the thick reddish liquid filling it. 

John does end up crossing paths with the hunter again, though very unintentionally. He had been visiting his friend Tom and had been out to go grab some stuff for dinner that night when he ran into Anthony-- quite literally. Anthony blurted out apologies, gathering up the spilt groceries and handing them to John, not noticing the amused look until he recognised the vampire. His eyes narrowed to near slits, bristling visibly, "You."  

John couldn't help the playful smirk on his lips when he responded with a mock deep voice, "Me." 

Anthony growls, and he shoves John up against the wall. The shorter morosely watches as a can of pineapples rolled off the curb and into the street, before shifting his attention to Anthony, who was withdrawing a dangerous looking blade from his jacket. "Guess I should've known that stakes don't work like they used to on you new breed.  Though usually decapitation kills most things."  

John arched an eyebrow, and it's painfully easy to switch their positions, the blade clattering to the ground as John pins Anthony against the wall. Even through the sleeves of his jacket, and the gloves that John's wearing, the vampire can still feel the burning heat seeping from Anthony's skin. It's maddeningly distracting. It feels like the human's warmth is invading his own flesh, bleeding into his veins and spreading through his system. Anthony struggles, trying to get his wrists free of John's grip. John lets him, watches as the hunter stumbled backwards with a small gasp. Anthony appeared to pull his jacket tighter around himself, shivering as he muttered with wide eyes, "Why the hell are you so cold ?" 

John stared at him in confusion, retaliating with a "Why the hell are you so warm ?" 

They stared at each other for a little bit, before John starts gathering his groceries. "Whatever. I don't care. I'm leaving. Take your little knife and scram, kid." 

Anthony watched him leave, and the feeling of eyes on his back made John a little smug.