Breaking Down (Destiel)

Because it was bound to happen eventually.

Dean had only ever seen Castiel cry three times in all the years he'd known the angel.

The first was when Castiel had a moment where he believed he was completely and utterly alone in the world,and that God had abandoned him and him alone. It was horrible,and Castiel had nearly killed Dean before allowing gentle arms to draw him in,comfortingly offering a warm embrace,fingers gently smoothing his ruffled hair.

The second time was just after Castiel had learned Gabriel was dead,and the memories of Balthazar and Gabriel came flooding back. Castiel had destroyed a whole hotel room before settling down,sobbing into Dean's chest,fingers curling uselessly into fists around Dean's shirt. It took the whole night to coax the distraught angel from his depression.

The third time Dean had seen Castiel cry was the worst of all. It was just after Dean had scored some alone time with the angel,eyes flicked black and demented. Castiel hadn't said a word,and just broke down completely. There weren't any words,nothing indistinguishable,and Castiel was just purely sobbing. Indistinct babbling filled the demon's ears as he stared in utter shock at the angel,unaware of what to do. Castiel had retreated to the far corner of the room,collapsing to the floor and drawing his knees up to his chest,arms crossing over them. He buried his face in his trenchcoat sleeves,and Dean realised this was the most humane thing he had ever seen Castiel do when he wasn't Jimmy Novak.

Castiel was trembling,shaking as he sobbed,hair quickly becoming dishevelled as he attempted to block out everything. Or he was trying to hide from everything,Dean thought with a twisting sense of dread in his stomach.

"Cas?"

The Winchester asked,eyes flickering back to their normal shade of Rapuzel green,a hand reaching out tentatively for Castiel's shoulder. The angel hissed,and his head snapped up,blue eyes wide and full of tearful hatred and despair. There were thick,pearly tears dripping down the raven-haired male's cheeks,and he shakily,brokenly sobbed,

"I ha-hate you,D-Dean Winch-Winchester,I fucki-fucking hate you!"

Dean was shocked,partially from Castiel's words,partially from Castiel's words.

Castiel burst into more tears,and Dean did what his human instincts told him to. He pulled Castiel forward,wrapping his arms around the male,holding the angel against him until Castiel gave in and relaxed into him,sobbing into Dean's shoulder. Dean rubbed Castiel's back gently,rocking them back and forth slightly,humming into the blue-eyed angel's ear. His hand crept up,fingers curling gently into Castiel's dark tresses,and Dean pressed a gentle kiss to his jawline.

"It's okay,Cas,it's okay."

Short. But sweet. Shush.